Chapter 9: The Division

"They used to say love had a sense of success".

As if a thing so pure in itself but also so hellbent on destruction could be a producer of definitive beauty.

I can remember...in my past life. Before the darkness.

A time of love and a time of great evil.
I can recall my mothers smiles and her smirks.
My fathers laugh, and also among them his sobs.

Waves of unharnessed emotions surged over and through me as I looked over the horizon.
The first layer of sunlight slow creeping itself over the everlasting fortress of trees that still towered over the clouds above.

The berry's and small tree nuts I had gathered in hopes of solidifying a small meal for me and my not so - so lover and ever so demanding self proclaimed bodyguard.

I stumbled back into the large trunk. The now crisp sun blocking my eyes as I lightly hit my still bare feet on the almost leap able roots beneath me.

Almost dropping the small handful of editable assortments placed in my right hand.

She awoke still dazed. I softly laid my hand into her palm, she smirked and kissed my lips softly, amazed at how soft her lips was I engaged deeper.

She lifted her beautiful hair out of her eye sight, I smiled once more she pursed her lips once more, and I whispered softly into her ear "thank you, my life in your hands my beautiful bodyguard".

"I'm still .. she yawned adorably. "It's okay, I understand"
We lay in a folly of dirt and crisp fruit sized nuggets of light proteins, the insects and rodents riding our coattails as we drifted off into another delightfully reminiscent Stasis of naps until the next brightened beam delighted our cozy tree home.