Chapter 29: Developing Nightmares

The thought was always there...

Haunting him. Pressing him down like a sandwich enveloped in cheese. He knew. He was home.

The smell of mother's forged handmade loaf of Friday dinner bread simmered on the ledge of the window.

She smiled as he leapt inside. His body still swarming with dirt from the fall.

"Another fall huh?" She questioned delighted.

"Yeah mom, why do you always sound so happy when I take a tumble". Jacob proclaimed, brushing the wet leaves off his arms and trying his best to dust off his navy blue slacks before sliding off his shoes and punching his way into the library for another good read.

"The best fails make the best men" she quoted as a smile formed on her face as he passed her and the wonderfully smelling kitchen.

Jacob loved all sorts of stories, ones of pirates and kings, and monstrous things, but none more intrigued him more than the ones speaking of alternate reality's.

He dreamt of inviting time travel. He wanted to experience the world as if nobody had before. But he was only a kid. A high schooler and a Poorly one at that.

For hours, Jacob laughed and indulged his mind in every word, the context and plot leaping off each page with the surge of a thousand title waves that he swept inside and never wanted to release.

Dinner came, and he was famished. The host of bullies than swarmed his every corner at school really did concern him but he refused to worry his mom about it...eventually she'd notice the black eyes and confront him..for now...he just wanted to enjoy the family time with his mother.

"Don't forget to wash up hun" she stated, her mouth taking the final sip from her wooden cup, the paper glazed utensil grouping up the remainder of pees and carrots that were on stone her plate.

"I wont mom" Jacob said as he cleared his slab of food and marched into his bed.

But he wouldn't. Jacob wanted to sleep and he wanted to forget, he wanted to forget that prom proposals were arriving soon, he wanted to dismiss that his crush Lindsay didn't ask him out but ask out "Crash" the biggest jock and bully in school and he wanted to cry because he didn't have anyone but his mom.

So Jacob drifted off to sleep...never knowing the nightmares he has coming his way.