Chapter 19: Party Gowns And Fake Smiles

All I ever wanted was a taste of happiness.

Memory's flooded my mind as I winced as the emperors palace guards watched closely. Glaring at me and my half naked body.

But the did not smirk this time for they knew that the dress that the servants were poking and prodding me into was meant for a momentous occasion. One that was supposed to be happy but as I had someone how taken "her" place I was to bed wed to that monster.

Or killed if I said no. I yelped in surprise and pain as her sewing needle pierced the middle cloth that covered my waist.

"Sorry, m'am". She said pleading upon one knee asking for forgiveness. I smiled a forgiving "false" smile and she knew it as well.

She knew that I wanted to cry and never stop the tears. She knew that I wanted to escape from this pain as never look back.

What she didn't know is why. Why he wanted to get married to someone two times his lesser. Tears fell as she looked my way trying her best to ignore my sniffles.

For I knew she cried too. I had seen her once while she had been feeding the small mice that scurried amongst the fortress golden halls and down into the barracks below.

She smiled a reassuring grin. Trying to not to prick me or her in the process of handing me a small banner that read.

"The empress's gala: all peasants and carrier men are welcome to dance from the palace stairs".

The man I was fated to marry was one of a cruel dream. A endless frenzy of nightmares that never will completely manage a transformation back into happier things.

I keep quiet. Other than momentary winced I knew my taking limit and I knew they'd take my tongue if I spoke too often or said to much about my "feelings"

A knock thundered against the large quarters doors that shuttered as the emperor burst in. Smirking his famous half smug smile.

He knows he has me.

And all I can do...

Is submit..