Chapter 3- I Saved You

"I guess so."

"So how've you been doing? Gotten shot yet?"

"No, but I got hit by a car."

"How fast?"

"80 miles an hour."

"What did you do?? Jump out of a car in the middle of a highway??!!"

"Ellie and I were on a run, and a car came speeding at us."

"She didn't tell me that. Did Bishop get hurt?"

"I pushed her out of the way."

Tony nods, understanding dawning over him. There's no question about it. McGee had sensed chemistry, but he also had a relationship with Susan Grady, so he isn't great with love. But this. This is all Tony needs to know.

"That's pretty brave."

"You went face to face with the Director of Mossad and had a kid with his daughter! Getting hit by a car is nothing compared to your standards."

"My standards? Ha! Did anyone tell you about that time I nearly gave the entire building the plague? Or that I'm the reason people get slapped on the head? Standards aren't exactly my, uh, thing. Then again, I did save Gibbs' life once or twice."

By this time, the rest of the group had begun listening to their conversation.

"Gibbs seems to get himself into messy situations a lot." Jack says.

"I saved him from drowning." Tony nods.

"And I saved you, McGee and Ziva from getting killed in Somalia." Gibbs puts in, giving DiNozzo a head slap.

"Ouch! Sorry boss. You're slacking, Ziva."

"I have saved you many times!"

"Name one."

"You're going into dangerous territory, Tony." McGee warns him, raising his eyebrows.

"Baseball. When Gibbs and I played. I saved you when the grill exploded." She replies.

"Right. Forgot about that one." Tony is still rubbing his head.

"If anything, I would say that McGee is the one who is slacking." Ziva gestures to Tim, whose jaw drops open.

"Contractions, Ziva. And Tiny Tim has rescued my butt a few times."

"Yeah!" McGee answers defensively. "Jack hasn't saved anyone."

"Excuse me?" Jack laughs, making a face that says 'I must have heard you wrong.'
"I haven't saved anyone? I'm the only one here except Gibbs who served in the military. Besides, I save you from yourselves. And trust me, there's a lot to fix."

"That's not true. You can only fix what you can find, and you can never find anything with Gibbs. Nick is like a rock, and I don't need fixing." McGee says, and Ziva snickers at the last sentence.

"It's true! Bishop's the only one she can get anywhere with." McGee points at the bathroom door.

"Ah, our sensitive little foodie."

"Eleanor knows when to ask for help. That does not make her sensitive. There is nothing wrong with requesting assistance."

"You didn't seem to think that when Sahar was chasing you." Tony reminds her, his hand on her lower back.

"I came to Gibbs, did I not?"

"Only when you had to warn him to-"

"Save his life." They all say together. "I told you I have saved you many times."

"The jokes on you, Z. I said name one. You named two. Therefore," Tony raises a hand, sweeping it across everyone in the room. "I think we can all agree I won. On a technicality, but I won no less."

"The technicalities are what get you in trouble, DiNozzo. Always read the fine print on wedding certificates." Nick impersonates Gibbs, deepening his voice.

Everyone except Gibbs laughs. Tony decides he likes the new guy.
———
Gaaaaah I just realized there's like another chapter before ellick happens but I sWeAr on my life it's worth the wait okay bye don't give up on me lol