Chapter 39- Twice In Two Days

Ellie cries out in pain and her knees buckle. Suddenly the world is moving in slow motion, and her body falls slowly through the air. Jake watches her go down with rage in his eyes, and I know my rage doubles his. Seeing my window, I pull the trigger.

Bang.

Again and again, my finger squeezes the trigger, firing round after round into the man.

After 6 shots, both Jake and Ellie are laying motionless on the ground.

My gun slips from my hand as my feet dig into the soft earth, pushing me forward to the bodies.

Quickly, I kick Jake's gun away from his still hand and turn to Ellie.

Kneeling next to her head, I see dried tears streaks flowing out of her eyes.

"Ellie? Ellie, talk to me! Say something! Ellie!" I whisper frantically, bending over her face, watching for any movements.

She's dead? How could she be dead? He just hit her! He didn't shoot her! How could the world do this to me? It took the one thing that kept me going away from me. My light.

Tears rush to my eyes as the truth begins to settle over me.

But then her eyes twitch. Her mouth opens and she takes a shaky breath.

"Ellie?" I ask desperately.

As if fighting to do so, she opens her eyes.

I see her beginning to panic because she can't see anything, and I quickly wipe the tears out of her eyes. Focusing on my face, her mouth starts to quiver and her eyes fill up again. Her chest begins heaving up and down unsteadily and she raises a shaking hand to my face, placing her palm on my cheek. I hold it there knowing she wouldn't have the strength to.

"N-Nick?" Her voice is practically inaudible because of how much pain she's in.

"It's okay, it's okay baby, it'll be alright, don't talk." I try to calm her down but my voice comes out shakily, so I take her hand and hold it in mine.

"Is he... is he dead?" She forces lips to move.

Glancing at him, I nod. He's got 4 bullets in his head and 2 in his heart.

I cup her head to soothe her and to try to stop the bleeding at the same time.

"Yeah El, he's dead." I whisper.

The smallest of smiles crosses her face momentarily, and I smile too.

"What did... he do to me?" She asks, and it just makes the smile that much more amusing.

She doesn't even remember the kidnapping and she's still happy Jake's dead.

"It doesn't matter right now. We need to get you to a hospital." I blink a few times to get a tear out of my eye.

"Are you crying?" She murmurs, closing her eyes from the pain.

"What if I am?" I wipe my eyes.

"I didn't... think anything... could make the stone Nick Torres... cry." She moans in pain, squeezing her closed eyes more closed and her breathing becoming unsteady again. "But here I am... doing it twice in... 2 days." Ellie finishes the sentence but can't continue.

I feel her hand become limp in mine and I look at her face in horror.

Did she just die? Again?

After checking her pulse, I breathe a sigh of relief. She's not dead, just unconscious. I still need to get her help.

Leaving Jake's body and both guns on the ground, I scoop Ellie in my arms and begin to run back to the house.