Chapter 17- Hello

Nick's POV: Arlington Memorial Bridge:

I burst around the corner, racing down the sidewalk searching frantically for Ellie.

"ELLIE!" I shout at the top of my lungs. I can't see her anywhere! Did she already jump? She can't have! I would have felt a piece of my soul leave my body.

"EL! BISHOP!" I keep screaming her name into the cold air.

Nothing! Nowhere! I spin on the spot, searching for any sign of her. The wind seems to howl past my ears as the world works into double speed.

"ELLIE!" I scream, my voice cracking.

A car squeals onto the bridge, but I don't pay any attention to it. The team jumps out and starts yelling into the night with me. I continue running along the edge, Ziva twenty feet behind me, double checking everything.

"ELEANOR!" I hear her yell as I look over the edge of the railing, hoping to the high powers, any high power, that I wouldn't see her down there.

I look back down the sidewalk, the night getting darker and darker.

All of a sudden, a shock of blonde catches my eye.

There she is! She hasn't jumped yet!

My sight locks in on the woman that I love, the person of my dreams who I could never live without, and I barrel down the sidewalk.

She's leaning against the railing, looking at the water thousands of feet below. Her hair blows violently in the wind along with her jacket, and I see her take a deep breath. She steps back, away from the edge of the bridge. Ellie's shaking her head, as if arguing with herself. It seems to be a difficult battle to continue taking steps away from the railing. Her eyes stay focused on the ground as she begins to walk away, her hands in her pockets. I can see tears glimmering on her cheeks under the weak street lamp.

"ELEANOR!" Ziva's voice comes from behind me and Ellie's head wrenches around. She sees Ziva, Tim, Tony, Jimmy, Gibbs, and Jack all racing straight for her with me leading the herd.

My feet barely touch the cement, practically flying the distance as I open my arms wide in order to grab her. She shrieks from surprise as I run into her, lifting her off her feet and hugging her close to me. Upon impact, something falls from her hand and I spin her around so her legs fly out to the side, my head in her shoulder. I stop spinning, and she buries her face in my neck. I don't even notice that I'm still holding her in the air so her feet can't touch the ground.

"Don't ever scare me like that again, Ellie!" I whisper into her ear as she begins crying.

"I'm so sorry." She manages to get out. "I shouldn't have called you."

"Calling me was the best decision of your life! You might have ended it all if you hadn't told me! I'm so glad you called, El." I hug her so close to my chest I'm surprised she can still breathe. We rock slowly from side to side as the team joins us.