Chapter 56- Lover Boy

The next day: General

Ellie stirs awake by a loud wrapping on the door. Her senses overload her with information as she takes in her surroundings. She must have fallen asleep on the couch, Netflix still playing. Looking around for the time, she sees it's already 9:11 am.

With a grunt, she gets up and crutches over to the door, peering through the peep hole. Upon seeing Jack's smiling face, Ellie grasps the doorknob excitedly, swinging it open for her best friend.

Before Jack can say a word, Ellie bursts out.

"Tell me everything!"

Jack follows her into the apartment and they both collapse on the couch.

"How long were you there last night?" Ellie pesters her.

"This is the first place I've gone after Gibbs' place."

"Jacqueline Sloane, did you-?" Ellie asks, beaming.

"No! No! God no. We fell asleep on his couch when I woke up he was making breakfast. It was so weird, I've never seen Gibbs gentle before, but when he sat back on the couch and handed me my plate it was soft. And he was quiet too."

"He's always quiet."

"I know, but he's usually quiet as in he doesn't say anything. He was talking, just... quietly."

Ellie's practically vibrating with excitement and Jack laughs.

"Okay okay okay!" Ellie thinks hard. "What did you have for dinner? Wait- stupid question. Steak, obviously. Um, what did you watch?"

"Some old western, I'm not sure what it was called."

Bishop sighs happily, then slowly turns the corners of her mouth down into a depressed frown.

"Okay, that changed real quick. What's wrong?" Jack asks, taking Ellie's hand.

"Nothing. He's going to get better. I just wish I could do something like that with Nick, you know? Spend a night together after a day where you didn't all think I was going to harm myself. It feels like since we officially started dating, I've seen less and less of him. I guess I just want a nice day with my boyfriend."

Jack nods sympathetically, and Ellie gives her a sad grin. Then, taking a deep breath, she stands up. Unfortunately, she forgot she was on crutches and began hopping desperately to keep her balance. Jack rushes forward to help her and reaches Ellie just in time.

"Whoa. Thanks." Ellie gives Jack a sheepish grin, then picks up her crutches. Jack sits back on the couch and Ellie makes herself some breakfast.

After a few minutes, Jack picks up El's phone and calls across the room to her.

"El, you got a text. Ooh it's from your lover boy."

"Don't call him that." Ellie laughs as she flips a pancake. "What did he say?"

"He wants to know when you're coming to the hospital because he- aww. Ellie. You've got a keeper. He wants to know when you're coming to the hospital because he wants to see your beautiful face and misses your gentle touch."

Ellie blushes, but Jack can tell how happy she is. She zones out with a lovesick smile on her face and is only brought back to reality by her pancake burning.

"Shoot!" She exclaims, flicking off the oven and dumping the pancakes onto a plate.

"He's calling you. Awww that's such a cute picture Ellie. Oh my god you two are so adorable." Jack's voice gets high and happy at the end as her face scrunches up, overwhelmed by the cuteness.

Still blushing, Ellie takes the phone.

"Hey Nick."

"Eeeeellieeeee." He makes her name into a 5 syllable word.

"Niiiiiiick."

"When are you coming back? I miss you." Nick says into the phone and a smile splits her face. She takes a few steps away from Jack, putting her back to her and talking low into the phone, smiling the whole time.

"I can be there whenever you want."

"10 minutes ago?"

"I can't go back in time, babe."

Ellie can practically hear Nick grinning through the phone.

"I wish we could. I would change so much."

"Like what?" Ellie asks, a mixture of curiosity and concern in her voice.

"Well first of all, I would have kissed you months ago."

Ellie bites her lip to keep from exclaiming in joy.

"Second, I would have killed Jake months ago too." Nick continues.

"He wasn't a criminal months ago."

"He broke you. That's crime enough for me."

Ellie can't stand it any more, and speaks hurriedly to the phone.

"Shut up."

"What?" Nick asks in utter confusion.

"You're distracting me."

"From what?"

"From guilting Jack into giving me another ride to the hospital." She turns to her and Jack nods.

"Wait!" Jack whispers. "On one condition!"

After hearing the condition, Ellie sighs and focuses back on Nick.

"I'll be there soon, lover boy."

"Lover boy??" Nick exclaims, clearly amused.

Ellie just hangs up and turns to Nick.

"I can't believe you made me say that." Ellie smirks.