Chapter 21- You Don't Mean

The next morning, my eyes open and I take in a world of unfamiliar sights and sounds. I'm not at my apartment. I can't recognize any of my surroundings except for one thing. The scent. I take a deep breath and sigh happily.

"It smells like Nick." I mumble into the warm thing beneath my head.

"I hope so." Comes Nick's voice, and I jump 3 feet in the air, falling out of bed.

"Nick!" I scream, heart still pounding.

"Ellie." He says tiredly and leans over the edge of the bed, pulling me back up.

"I- I completely forgot where I was." I sit up in the bed and he sighs, sitting up too.

"So." He says. "You know what I smell like?" Nick stretches, climbing out of bed.

"Um... I mean, yeah. I've worked with you everyday for years."

"That's not why you know. You know because you loOoOove me." He smirks at me and grabs his clothes, headed for the bathroom.

I smile to myself and change quickly behind the door.

Emerging, I go to the fridge and open it. Cold pizza, milk, eggs.

"You don't have anything good to eat in here."

"I know."

"Well what are we supposed to eat?"

"The pizza."

"For breakfast?" I ask.

"Well it's not dinner time."

Surprised, I unwrap the pizza and take a bite.

1 Hour Later: General

Ellie and Nick head into the Squad room to see McGee is already there.

McGee jumps up and rushes over to Ellie and Nick, pushing them back into the elevator.

"What-?" Ellie asks, confused.

Once they're all in the elevator and it's stopped moving, McGee turns to face them.

"Ellie, h*ll's come to earth."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nick looks at Tim while Ellie squints in bewilderment.

"We got a new case, the murder of an ex NSA Lawyer turned Marine, Jacobi Clark."

"So?" Ellie is still completely lost as she glances from Tim to Nick.

"So, it's a joint investigation with the NSA."

Ellie's eyes widen with realization and her mouth drops open.

"You don't mean..."

"I do. He's in the squad room."

"Who?" Nick feels stupid for not being able to keep up.

"Jake." McGee answers, staring right at Bishop, who squeezes her eyes closed.

"As in... as in her ex-husband Jake?"

"That's the one." Nodding, McGee turns back to Ellie, whose head is leaned back against the wall.

"You got this?" He asks, hoping Ellie will be able to remain her natural, professional self.

"Yeah, yeah why wouldn't I?" She stands straight again and links her arm with Nick's reassuringly.

"It's only the man who cheated on me with his boss on a trip that he lied to me about while I was here worrying that he was dead in a ditch when he was really off doing who knows what with a girl half his age! Why wouldn't I be okay?"

Still in the dark about the details, Nick's brain functions rapidly in order to keep up with the overload of information.

Wow. That must have been horrible for Ellie. I am so going to beat the living s**t out of this guy.

McGee resumes the elevators motion, but at the floor he stops after getting out.

"Aren't you guys coming?"

He sees Ellie look to Nick, confused as to why he is holding her hand to tightly and won't let go of it.

"Can I have a moment with El please, McGee?"

"Um, yeah, sure."