Chapter 8- Gone

Nicks POV-

When I reach the sidewalk, I feel warmth on my neck, and remember that I'm bleeding. I quickly duck into a slow restaurant and use their bathroom to clean myself up. I hear a knock on the door and when I open it, Jimmy is standing there.

His eyes widen in amazement.

"What happened?!"

I just shake my head and go back to washing the blood off. I'm still angry, and am afraid I'm going to take it out on him.

"I-I went after her, to-to calm her down," he stutters, flustered by the blood on me.

"But um... I, uh-"

"Jimmy!" I say much louder than I meant to.

"Right, um, I lost her. She disappeared into a crowd of people, and I couldn't find her again."

I sigh. I have a pretty good hunch about where she is, but I don't tell Jimmy because it's personal for her.

"Thanks, Jimmy. Listen, when you go back, Gibbs is going to be angry and-"

"Did you beat up Gibbs?!" He said in a horrified stage whisper.

I turn my head, squint at him exasperatedly then back to the mirror.

"Yeah, well, just don't ask him about it. Ask Ziva, or McGee, or better yet, just don't ask at all, okay?"

Jimmy swallows and fervently nods his head.

"Great. I have to go." I say, and exit the restaurant.

General:

Jimmy rushes back to work, only to find a surprisingly distressed Gibbs. Astonished, he absent mindedly says

"Wow. Nick did a good job."

Four sets of eyes stare at him, excluding Gibbs.

"Not good like- like Hurray! Birthday Party!  More like good like um, like good like uh..."

"Just quit while you're behind, Palmer." Tony grumbles.

The air wreaks of tension as Jimmy stands there awkwardly.

Sobbing is suddenly heard from the bathroom and Ziva's eyes flare as she looks at Tony.

"Tali." They say in unison, forgetting their disagreement. 

Running to the bathroom, Tony opens the door and Ziva picks up Tali, who is crying just inside the door.

"Wh-why did Aunt Ellie a-and Grandpa Gibbs y-yell?" She sobs into her mother's shoulder.

"They were just having a discussion." Ziva glances at Tony who looks worried.

"But- but Aunt Ellie was so- so happy. She finally t-told Uncle N-Nick, and th-they kissed, and they- they were happy!" Tali continues to bawl and Ziva tries to comfort her.

So that was it. Tony, Ziva, McGee and Jimmy knew something must have happened between the two for Rule 12 to be at the base of the fight.

"Where are they?" Gibbs says without turning to Jimmy. He had completely forgotten about Tali.

"Nick went to find Ellie. I don't know where, honest." Jimmy laughs nervously, then clears his throat.

"Um, let's get you down to Autopsy."

Gibbs gets up and looks like he's following Jimmy downstairs, but turns at ground level and exits the building.

"Gibbs wait!" Jimmy calls, and goes to chase him, but McGee holds him back.

"Let him go, Jimmy. He needs time." He says.