Chapter 20- Wrong Door

Ellie's POV:

He was being serious when he said it didn't matter I was married! Nick is such a kind person, not ridiculing me for my mistake. I honestly feel more happy in this moment than I ever remember feeling. His arms are around my back and his eyes beat into my soul. Something about the way he's looking at me makes my insides tickle. We could stand like this all day and I would be perfectly content with it.

He removes one arm, and I feel my happiness weaken with the break in eye contact. Walking me through the living room, he spreads his arm across the floor.

"Where do you want to sleep?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, slightly taken aback. It had been obvious to me where I was going to sleep.

"You could sleep on the floor, or the couch, or if you wanted to... you could sleep in the bed... with me." He faces me, anticipation in his eyes.

"I... thought we could share the um... the bed." I respond nervously.

A smile splits his face, and he turns to pick up my things.

"What?" I grin back at him, and he just shakes his head.

"I was hoping you would pick that one."

"Why?" I laugh slightly as he tosses the hoodie I use as pajamas to me.

"Cause I want you close to me."

"I love you too Nick."

Nick calls over his shoulder and leaves for the bedroom. "I'm getting changed in the bedroom."

I grin to myself as I get the rest of my stuff. Clothes for tomorrow, a hairbrush, toothbrush and shoes. Putting them in a small pile on the kitchen table, I take my hoodie and look around.

I don't want him to walk in on me changing, but I can switch clothes pretty fast. Still, I don't need to make things awkward.

I head to the back and reach for the bathroom doorknob, but stop abruptly.

Is this the bathroom? Or is the one on the left the bathroom? Shoot.

Hesitantly, I knock softly on the door. No answer.

Okay, good. I have the bathroom. He said he is going to be in the bedroom.

I open the door, but before I can step in I freeze. Nick is standing on the other side of the bed, completely naked with his pajama pants in his hands. Startled, he looks up and we make eye contact. I'm frozen on the spot, my eyes wide and my hand on the doorknob.

"Not the bathroom!" I squeak and back out of the room, slamming the door behind me.

I still can't move, but at least there is a door between us now. After a few seconds, the door opens slowly and Nick comes face to face with me, shirtless but wearing shorts. His eyebrows rise at my rigid body and my stone face chiseled into a look of horrified embarrassment.

"You okay, El?" He asks slowly, and I can't decide whether to nod or shake my head.

"Ellie? Hello?"

"I'm sorry!" I say, my eyes turning to him, and an amused but worried look crosses his face.

"It's okay, I'm not mad." He reaches out to rub my arm, and I feel my body relax into his touch.

"I couldn't remember which door was the bathroom, so I knocked and you didn't say anything. I thought I had the right door." I explain, apologetically, feeling a little less embarrassed.

"Don't worry about it. You were going to see it at some point."

"What?!" My eyes bulge.

"Come on. We live in the same apartment, share a bed, and are dating? It's gonna happen."

"Nicholas Torres, are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"What do you think I'm saying?"

"I think you're saying you want to sleep with me."

"Maybe. Eventually."

I kiss him, and turn for the bathroom to change. After making sure the door is locked, I strip and pull the hoodie over my head.

Shoot. Again. I thought the hoodie was longer. It barely reaches past my hips.

Sighing, I stretch the shirt as far as I can, and it gains an inch at maximum.

Oh well. I'm covered.

I open the bathroom door and head into the bedroom. Nick is in the kitchen and I change direction.

"Which side of the bed is yours?" I ask, and he glances up. His eyebrows rise slightly after looking at me, and I can feel myself blush. I'm not upset though. It's almost nice to have someone look at me that way again.

"It doesn't matter. Whichever one you're not on."

"Do you usually go to bed by now? Or are we watching TV or something else first?" I don't want to mess up his routine. I feel bad enough I dumped myself in his apartment.

"I don't even know what time it is. The only clock I have is my phone and it's dead."

"It's 11:27." I answer after looking at my phone screen.

"Yeah, I go to bed around 11:30."

"Okay." I turn for the bedroom and can hear him behind me.

Unsurely, I crawl onto the side of the bed closest to the door, figuring he would want to be near the closet. He joins me after a few seconds, and I lay with my back to him.

I'm almost asleep when I hear him shift and feel his hand on my side, his breathing slow and rhythmic. Rolling over slowly, I feel my clothed chest push against his bare one. I lean into him, my hands on his chest and we lay there for a minute. He grunts quietly, waking up, and sees me cuddled against his chest. I feel his arms around my shoulders as he pulls me into a long, warm hug.