Chapter 41- Officer Green

Nick's POV:

My foot sits on the gas, barely noticing my speed or the fact that Jack is sitting next to me.

"Nick, I know you're worried about Ellie but you're going to kill us all going this fast!" Jack is gripping the door and I glance at my speed. 79 mph. Gibbs has gone faster. I'll be fine.

"I need to get her to the hospital."

"I called her an ambulance!" Jack exclaims.

"You what?" I ask. Did she just say she had an ambulance in the way?

"I. Called. An. AMBULANCE!" She repeats, practically shouting, and looking very uncomfortable.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I yell. I should have waited for it!

"I did tell you! You were already in the car!"

I curse myself quietly, then hear her shout again.

"Nick! Slow down!"

Once again, I look at my speed. 86mph. That's not good, that's pretty fast even for Gibbs driving.

My foot moves to the brake, but the air gets ripped from my lungs as a siren blasts through the dark morning light. Blue and red lights flash and I hear Jack curse under her breath.

All the times Gibbs has sped through the city, nothing happens. But the one time I do, I get pulled over. I need to get Ellie to the hospital!

This is just... great.

I turn off the road and stop on the shoulder. As the officer walks up to the window, I place my hands at 10 and 2, hoping the cop will let us go.

"Are you aware how fast you were driving sir?" The cop, Officer Green, bends over so she can see both Jack and I through the open window. She seems new and unsure of herself.

"Yes, officer, but I have an emergency. I need to get to the hospital." I respond as cool as I can, because I know if I don't filter my tone I'll just get us in more trouble.

"You seem to be in good health to me. What exactly is the problem that's so urgent you were driving 36 miles per hour over the speed limit?"

This is taking too long! We need to go! I feel around in my pants pockets for my badge. I don't feel it. I quickly pat the other leg and still don't feel it.

I look up and see Green is pointing a gun at me!

Shoot! It must look like I was reaching for a weapon.

"Oh no! No, I'm a cop too! I work for NCIS!" I say quickly, but her gun doesn't get lowered.

"Got your badge?" She asks.

"That's what I'm looking for! I can't find it!" I'm getting really angry and frustrated.

How many times am I going to have to repeat this?

"I need to get to the hospital! We need to save my partner!"

"The woman next to you seems perfectly fine too. Sir, I'm going to need you to step out of the vehicle."

"Jack, show her your badge." I mutter to her.

"I'm a psychologist! I don't have a badge!" She hisses back.

"Officer! Please, this is life or death we're talking about! Can you let us go?" Jack pleads with the cop.

"Sir, out of the car! Now!" Green demands and pulls the door open, taking me a little roughly by the arm and pulling me out of the car.

"I'm going to have to perform a test to make sure you're not intoxicated. License and registration?"

"Fine! But can you please let her drive to the hospital??" I beg, gesturing to Jack. I don't know how much longer Ellie can bleed out.

"Of course I can't." Green says.

Okay, that's it. This woman is seriously ticking me off. I'm not going to stay here knowing Ellie could die any second.

I rip myself out of the officers grip and step away from her. She lunges for me and I dodge out of the way so my back is against the door to the second row.

Once again, I find myself staring down the barrel of Green's gun. I need to be careful, but also get my point across.

"I'm going to open the door." I say, so she doesn't think I'm trying to ambush her.

"Leave it closed. If you open that door I'm going to arrest you."

"For what?!" I exclaim.

"Just leave it closed."

"I need to show you what's inside." I glance at her gun, aimed at my stomach. So she doesn't think I'm an extreme threat, but still one nonetheless.

"Don't." She demands.

"I need to."

I slowly open the door and Green's eyes widen at the sight of Ellie, bloody and very pale on the seat.

I can tell by her reaction that she doesn't know what to do.

"See?! I need to get to the hospi-"

"MURDERER!!!!" She screams and shots ring through the air.

"NICK!" Jack's voice shouts as I feel myself falling backwards against the car and sliding to the ground, bleeding from my stomach.