Chapter 53- Notes

Ellie's POV: The Next Day

I crutch down the hall around noon time to Nick's room, a freshly released woman. I am no longer under the responsibility of the hospital.

Passing Nurse Broder in the hall, he opens his mouth but I cut him off.

"Visiting hours start in 2 minutes and it'll take me that long to get to his room in these." I wave a crutch around and he gives me an exasperated stink eye.

It doesn't actually take me 2 minutes to get to his room, more like 30 seconds, but he doesn't need to know that.

When I enter the room, Nick is asleep.

I smiles and sit down. He looks so cute when he's asleep.

I wait for him to wake up for nearly 2 hours. My own eyelids become heavy, then  next thing I know my watch says 3:48 pm and Nick is watching me with a smile.

"Hey... sorry." I say, sitting up and stretching.

"How long have you been here?" He asks, reaching his hand out. I take it happily, and answer.

"Nearly 4 hours. I've been asleep for half of it. You should've woken me up. Visiting hours end at 4 today."

"I couldn't bother you. You looked to calm and comfortable."

I lean over and kiss him, then take my phone.

"I wonder if anyone else came to see you."

I see 10 messages, 3 from Tony, 1 from Kasie, 1 Jimmy, 3 Jack and 2 McGee.

Jimmy's message:

Does your leg feel any better? I'm think of you.

Kasie's message:

I hope you're feeling better

McGee's messages:

Delilah, Morgan and Johnny all hope you feel better.

When can we come visit you guys?

Tony's messages:

Tali won't stop talking about how strong you are.

Can we stop by the hospital?

Foodie!

Jack's messages:

Good morning Ellie!

How are you feeling?

Hey, I came by the hospital and they told me you were released so I checked Nick's room but you were both asleep so I left. Text me when you're awake 💜
~~~~~~~~~~
I sigh.

"We missed Jack, she came by and saw us both asleep. It doesn't sound like anyone else came over."

"I'd rather be asleep around Jack right now than awake."

"What? Why?" I ask, confused.

"Can you imagine how much brain probing she's going to be doing after all this?" He raises his eyebrows at me.

He's got a good point.

We talk for a few more minutes until Nurse Broder comes in.

"4 o'clock." He taps his watch, then leaves again.

Nick grumbles, but sits up.

I sit in the bed and give him another kiss.

"I'd better go. Wouldn't want to get thrown out."

"Oh yeah, cause Broder is definitely strong enough to do that." Nick retorts.

"Maybe not him, but his security probably is."

I hug him, then stand.

"Okay. I'll be at..." then I trail off, remembering that I don't have an apartment anymore.

"Um, actually I uh... all my stuff is at your place and I don't have a key. So, I guess I'll be at the office. Or Gibbs' house, I might stay with Gibbs."

"I didn't give you a key?"

"No. It's okay though, I only stayed for one night. I'm sure Gibbs'll let me crash at his place. And borrow a sweatshirt and pants." I assure him, not wanting Nick to feel bad.

"No no, it's okay. I have a spare key in my desk drawer, just take that one." He says.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Of course. You're my girlfriend now, I can't have you sleeping at other men's houses." He smiles and I laugh.

"Thanks." I turn out the door, but right before I close it I turn back and pop my head in. "Babe." I tack on the nickname, knowing it'll make him happy.

"Oh man, I love you so much." I hear him say as the door closes behind me.

At the office, I head to Nick's desk and make it there with surprisingly little social interaction. Someone smiled at me, and one person nodded to me tout that's it. I was expecting to be bombarded with questions or something the second I stepped foot in the building.

I sit in Nick's chair because it's easier than crouching.

Opening the top drawer, I find a bunch of pens and paper, some wrappers and a note. Taking a closer look at it, I'm surprised when it seems familiar.

It's in my handwriting, and suddenly I remember scribbling it down. It was the day I forgot my phone at home and I would just leave notes on Nick and McGee's desks since I couldn't text them.

Do you want to grab dinner? It's been a long day and I could use a break with a friend.
                                               -E

I wrote it nearly 4 months ago but he still has it. That's so sweet. I smile to myself and take the note in my hands. Picking up one of the pens, I flip the note over and write another message for him to find on a bad day.

Do you want to get something to eat? It's been a rough week and I could use a break with my boyfriend.
                                                -Ellie ❤️

Satisfied with my handiwork, I put the note back and close the drawer. After searching the second one and having no luck I look through the third one.

At the very bottom of his junk drawer, I find a lanyard with nearly 15 keys on it. This must be his master lanyard where he keeps all his spare keys. Brilliant and idiotic at the same time. To my relief, each one is labeled. Gym, car, bank box, house.

There we go. I take only the house key off the ring and put it in my pants pocket.

As I'm putting the lanyard back, I notice something really weird.

What the heck is that?? A jar of water? Man, Nick has some weird things. Where does he keep all his important stuff? I don't have any extra room in my desk.