Chapter 13- A Break

Ellie had sat on the bottom step, her head in her hands, her entire body shaking slightly from crying. Hearing him approach, she looks up, wiping her eyes quickly.

"Ellie. I'm not upset with you, you know that right?" He sits down next her and she stands.

"You've got a funny way of showing it." She grumbles, crossing her arms on her chest.

"What's she doing?" Tim whispers, and gets slapped by Tony.

"El, I just needed a moment. It's a lot to dump on someone." Nick rises to her level, taking her hands in his. "I overreacted though. I shouldn't have just... left."

"I know it's a lot, but I tried to talk to you and you walked away."

"I won't do it again, I promise."

"I'm just supposed to believe you? The first time we have a problem, you just leave." Ellie removes her hands from his grasp, and he watches her, his mouth hanging acutely open.

Nick's hands are still at his rib cage, where they had been when he had been holding Ellie. His mouth is still open, and his eyebrows are furrowed, confused and hurt.

"What are you trying to say?" He asks hesitantly.

She takes a deep breath, looking straight into his eyes.

"I love you, Nick. I really do. And I know we've only been together for a few hours, and it's been the best hours of my life, but I need someone who will listen to me. I have been waiting for us to happen for years, but now I need a moment. I need time to wrap my head around everything. Again. We never argued when we were just friends, now we're mad at Gibbs and annoyed with each other. And you need to know that I want to be with you more than anything. I just need... something. I don't want to break up, I just want a... break. I guess."

She takes a step towards him, her face 3 inches away from his. Tears shimmer in her eyes as she sees the pain in Nick's face, feeling her own pain in her heart. Nick tilts his head, his mouth craving her lips. His hot lips touch hers, and she feels a fire in her stomach as she returns the gesture. They don't break for a half a minute, not even to breathe. His hands take hers, and squeeze gently. When Ellie releases, she lets the cool tears slide down her otherwise burning face.

"I love you." She backs away from him, then turns and climbs the steps, headed for Jack's office where she thinks she is.

"I'm not mad at you!" He calls after her.

Nick bites his lip, fists balled at his sides as he tries to make sense of what just happened.

She said she needs someone else, but she said she loves him.

She said she needs time, but she kissed him. Well, technically he kissed her, but she kissed back.

A sudden hand on his back startles him, and he looks up to see Tim standing there, everyone behind him. Turning to face them, Nick readies himself.

"You okay?" Tony asks.

"Uncle Nick! What happened? Why is Aunt Ellie crying?" Tali asks quietly.

Nick's solemn face looks down to Tali. Without answering, he grimaces and leaves for the elevator.

"Nick!" Jimmy calls after him, but the doors close and Torres is out of sight.

"Who did Eleanor go looking for?" Ziva wonders.

"Ooh, me! I'd better go!" Jack begins to run up the steps, but once she reaches the landing she stops. "Don't let Gibbs know about what happened!"