Chapter 37- That's Life

Nick's POV: Immediately after

"This is it." McGee turns into the driveway of an old, rundown house. It looks like it hasn't been lived in in years.

Before the car comes to a stop, I'm out of it and running up to the door. Tim joins me and we pull out our guns. I kick the door in and we storm the place.

I turn down the hall as McGee heads upstairs.

It's a living room, but the couches are covered in layers of thick dust. Cobwebs stretch across every corner. Everything in here is ancient. Except for one thing.

My heart stops as I see something shimmering in the moonlight on the floor. Blood. Fresh blood, bright red. I have a feeling it's still warm.

"Clear!" I call out in a horrified voice.

A loud crash from the second floor grabs my attention and I race up the stairs. Just outside one of the bedrooms, I put my back to the wall. Quickly, I spin into the room, my gun pointing ahead of me.

"Get off!" A large woman howls at McGee, who has her pinned to the floor with his gun in her back.

"Melinda Dooley?" He asks.

"Who wants to know?" She responds.

"NCIS Special Agent McGee and this is Special Agent Torres. Now answer me! Are you Melinda Dooley?"

"Nope."

"Yes you are!" I exclaim, showing Tim the picture of Dooley from her file on my phone.

"Alright, so we've got you for lying to a federal agent, assaulting a federal agent and first degree murder. That's life." Tim says as he handcuffs her.

"Where's Ellie?!" I ask, and she laughs.

"I dunno."

McGee tightens the handcuffs a lot so they're slicing into her wrists.

"Ah! God! I really don't know! I dumped her in the woods somewhere. She's dead by now."

"Go." McGee says, jerking his head towards the door and I run out of the room.

She can't be dead, she just can't be. I jump down the steps and out the back door, into the pitch black darkness.