Her swayamvar

"The unexpectedness of life, waiting round every corner, catches even wise women unawares."

~~~~~~~

If Arjuna, through his unparalleled skills at archery, wins the contest, they would get the support of Drupada, whose army is said to be strongest of all. So, they decided to move to Kampilya, the capital city of Panchala. 

Disguised in the form of poor brahmans, Pandavas reached Kampilya. There was festive atmosphere all over the city. The place looked stunning, streets decorated with flowers and leaves. Thousands of wick lamps were illuminated at night. Pandavas dropped Kunti at a house. Moving about in the crowd unrecognised, they reached the royal palace. They palace was bustling with the preparations for the royal marriage. Lord Shri Krishna, his brother Balarama, Duryodhana, Karna and many other dignitaries were present at the venue.

Draupadi along with her twin brother Drishtadyumna, arrived at the venue. She looked beautiful in her wedding attire, leaving the royal princes at awe. The contest began, and as expected, none of the princes were able to hit the target. Then came Karna's turn. 

The Pandavas' hearts began to race, for Karna was the only one who can defeat Arjuna. As Karna lifted his bow up to release the arrow, Draupadi commanded, "Wait ! I don't want to marry a charioteer's son. I will not have a low caste man contesting for my hand". Karna flinched and put down the bow. 

Once again, fate was biased against Karna.

 He came back to his chair, feeling humiliated. After Karna, Arjuna, who was in a Brahman attire came forward. Taking the permission of king Drupada, who was initially hesitant to allow a Brahman to participate in the contest but later accepted the request, Arjuna stepped forward. He aimed at the wooden fish, looking at its reflection in the pond below.

 The arrow went through the five wooden circles, which were revolving in random fashion guarding the target, and hit the fish's eye.

The crowd looked at the entire episode and were unable to believe that a Brahman has defeated the powerful Kshatriyas. 

But Lord Shri Krishna, who was seated among the dignitaries, knew that the Brahman was none other than Arjuna himself. Draupadi garlanded Arjuna. He, along with his new wife and brothers, left the venue to meet Kunti.

Dristadyumn looked on with teary eyes, letting his sister go was not easy. She was his everything.. He hid his tears and smiled during her vidai but then went crying to his room. He knew he had to let her go..

While Drupada was still in doubt. " How can an ordinary Brahman defeat trained Kshatriyas ? " he thought. He sent Drishtadyumna to follow them and to find out who they were. Drishtadyumna along with some soldiers followed Pandavas.

He did not forget to take the letter he wrote for his beloved sister- his draupadi.  But should he give it? He had to be her strength...

 He had too many doubts ..

Is he really the right one?

Will he take care of his sister?

Will she be loved or treated like a servant? 

Will her husband protect his rose petal like sister or trample her with his feet?

Will her husband lust over her or love her?

Will her mother-in-law make her work all day or give her the love she needs?

Will her husband's brothers treat her with respect and help her settle and give her the same protection and care he did or will they make her uncomfortable and look at her inappropriately?