Papa Ki Aadya

Aadya is a name which I am madly in love with & most of us are!

.

.

.

It is said that a man is not complete until he has seen the baby he has made; that a man's life finally comes a full circle when he sees the miracle of life, in the form of a little baby, he made. For a man who was a master of words, and a perfectionist with colors, the sight in front of him was too overwhelming. For the first time in his life, Omkara Singh Oberoi was left speechless.

He looked at the little baby girl of a few hours, cocooned in a baby pink wrap, sleeping soundly in her cradle. She looked every bit like her mother, except for her big black eyes; his baby girl had inherited his eyes. Omkara carefully pulled a chair and sat next to the cradle, lest he disturbed his sleeping child and her sleeping mother, who was asleep a few feet away from the cradle. A small smile crept on his lips when he recalled the series of events since last night, while looking at his sleeping child.

Gauri had refused to be taken to the hospital despite mild pains; she wasn't due for another two weeks. However, in the middle of the night, she'd regretted for not having listened to the family after her pain intensified. It was around 2 AM when Omkara had carried her from the bed into the car, all the while rubbing her hands and telling her she was going to be alright, and simultaneously urging Rudra to drive faster.

The hours of labour were gruelling; obviously for Gauri since her contractions were getting stronger and difficult with every few minutes. But this also seemed taxing on Omkara, who despite Gauri's requests, refused to leave her side. "The cervix needs to be dilated up to ten centimetres; she's just three. We'll have to wait." The doctor had said, walking away, and the two had no option but to wait. "There's no point in ya'll coming now; I sent Rudy back too. The doctor says she'll not be ready anytime soon..." he'd told Annika, who had called to inquire about her little sister.

"I need some cold water..." Gauri said in the early hours of morning, in a tired breath. Omkara nodded, and rushed to get some ice water for her. She had seemed to be at ease gulping it down, except for the contractions kicking in every 5 minutes, lasting up to a minute. "Omkara ji... I'm scared..." she confessed, as he had held her hand through one of the painful ones. "You're doing great, love. I'm here with you. Okay?" he'd said, kissing the back of her hand and wiping her damp hair away from her forehead, while watching the monitor as the pain was reducing.

"She's ready..." the doctor said, after she'd checked Gauri, "...and the baby seems to be in position..." Whisking her away to the room for delivery, Omkara sent out a message to the family group, informing them the same.

"Push, Gauri..." Omkara encouraged, and Gauri had tears in her eyes with the entire struggle, "I cannot... I'm tired, Omkara ji..." she was on the verge of bursting into tears due to overtiredness. She'd been pushing for an hour now. "Mrs. Gauri, you're crowning. I need you to push..." the doctor told her, and Gauri fell back in exhaustion, almost giving up. Omkara kissed her forehead and held her hands in his, "You can do this... Let's do this, Gauri... We've waited for our child for nine months. Don't give up when our child is almost here... Come on..." he encouraged her, holding her, and rubbing her belly, gently. Gauri looked at her husband, who was an absolute nervous wreck, but kept himself strong for her and for their baby; she nodded and gave one hard push, and that was when everything else fell silent.

"It's a girl!" the doctor exclaimed, as she pulled the baby out, and placed the tiny infant on Gauri's chest, after covering the newborn with a warm towel. The doctor then clamped the umbilical cord, and asked Omkara to cut it between the clamps. "Will they be hurt?" Omkara said, trembling, as he held the surgical scissor. The doctor smiled, "No, they wouldn't..." Omkara cut the cord, and then looked at Gauri, who was smiling through her tears, as her baby tried to suckle her. "You'll have to push once more, Mrs. Gauri. Let's do this..." the doctor said and Gauri nodded. Omkara was confused; why push after the baby is out? Only later did he know that there was something called as the placenta to be delivered too!