Phir Milenge : Part 4B

Part Four (B)

Minutes later, Gauri came out of the bedroom after putting Karu to sleep. Tucking her hair behind her ears, she walked slowly up to Omkara, who stood up when she approached him; folding her hands at her chest, she said without looking at him, "You should leave, Omkara." He stood looking at her, and after a long pause, she said, "Saumya had no right to tell you..." "Saumya didn't tell me anything Gauri..." he said, cutting her sentence. The look on her face was priceless, and Omkara smiled sadly. "I had to lie to you to get it out from you, and I am not even sorry about it. Saumya just told me that you said yes to marrying Ashwin only due to your Bade Papa, and that was something I already knew; a fact that Annika told me four years ago. What i wasn't aware of, was what you told me, as to what you had to go through over the past years with Ashwin, due to your Bade Papa's decision." Gauri cupped her mouth with her palms, recalling the horrendous mistake she made of telling Omkara everything during a serious melt-down, and then shaking her head vigorously she said, "No... No, Omkara. The last I want to see in your eyes is pity for me. I hate that sympathetic look; at least not from you... Please leave..."

At this, something within him broke. Breaking his calm resolve, he stepped forward, held her by her arms and jerked her close to him, giving her a good shake, "Pity? Sympathy? Is that what you see? Are you blind? Or just too stubborn to see what I really feel for you, Gauri? I love you, damn it! I always have, i always will!" "Omkara please..." she said softly, looking away from him. "Look at me!" he said in a stern tone, and when she did not pay heed, he gently cupped her face and made her look at him. "I love you, Gauri, and i can clearly see that love reciprocated in your eyes too. Why are you holding back?" Gauri stifles a sob, "I am not the same old Gauri you fell for, Omkara. I have changed; changed for worse. I have stopped being the person I used to be. I have become so cynical and bitter over the years, and main tumhare zindagi mein kadvahat nahi gholna chahti!" Omkara cupped her face with both his hands, "If you've become bitter, then I most certainly want to wipe that bitterness away with the sweetness of our love!"

She shook her head again, "No Omkara, please go away; this is for the best. You don't understand what I'm trying to say. I have a child now, and she is my priority; my only priority! Please don't mess up your life and ours. Please call Ishana and tell her that you don't want to cancel the engagement. I'm sure she'll understand and..." "...Yaar Gauri, main hamari baat kar raha hoon aur tum Ishana ko beech mein ghaseet rahi ho?" Gauri sat on the couch, holding her head in her hands, gently massaging her aching temples, "It's not going to work between us, Om!" She heard him laugh and then heard him say when she looked at him, "You said that four years back as well. Say something new this time."

She looked away, helpless. Why did he have to be so difficult? Yes, deep within her heart she did not want him to leave, but how could she just let him break an engagement; that too for her sake? Gauri Sharma- who has a responsibility of a child and the painful wounds of her previous relationship! She looked at him, looking at her with hope in his eyes, the way he looked at her four years back. Could it be that easy to just say a yes and give them a chance? Why was she so frightened of just reaching out to him and placing her hand in his?

"He does not deserve an emotionally damaged and a physically abused woman like you, Gauri. He deserves someone lot better. The world would laugh at him and embarrass him. You are ruined anyway, Gauri. He does not deserve to get stained with your cursed fate. Let him go..." the annoying inner voice convinced her. Wiping her tears, she smiled at him, hoping to convince him. Placing her hands on his, she said, "Omkara, please let go. Things can't go back to being the same. Kyunki, kahin na kahin, main main na rahi, Omkara... Mera rishton par se bharosa utth chuka hai. I don't feel anything anymore..."