Phir Milenge : Epilogue

Epilogue

It was a normal, lazy Sunday noon when everyone in the Oberoi Mansion was resting in their respective rooms. Gauri Oberoi walked into her bedroom and looked appalled at the not-so-pleasant sight that greeted her eyes. Toys thrown all over the place; different coloured dupattas that actually belonged to Gauri were scattered around; and in the midst of this mess was Omkara Singh Oberoi sleeping on the floor, while six year old Karunya Oberoi sat on his chest, dusting some purple glitter on his cheeks. That was not all. Next to where he lay, was Gauri's unused make-up palette, from which Karu was now applying some yellow eye shadow on her Papa's eyelids. His face had already been caked with some foundation, his hair had already been decorated with multicoloured clips, and his lips were coated with the lip-colour of a ripened plum. Half of the powder and glitter were spilt around them on the floor. Gauri shook her head, annoyed at the mess in the room. Hadn't it been just this morning that she had arranged the room? Thank God for small mercies that the bed had been spared from the mess though.

"Mere Papa kitne pretty lag rahe hain..." Karu was heard ordering her Papa, saying, "Now Papa, you will put Mamma's dupatta on your head and play princess with me..." Gauri had had enough of the mess in the room now. She took a step towards the father-daughter duo, only to shriek in pain that shot from her feet right up to her brain, drawing attention from both of them. "Mammaa..." "Gauriii..." they said in unison and hurriedly rushed to her only to guiltily look at the lego piece that had pierced her heel, which they had left scattered around after playing.

"How many times have I told you not to scatter your toys, Karu? And who asked you to pull out my clothes from the cupboard? Kitni baar kaha hai, lekin tumhe samajh mein nahi aata na?" she said in an angry tone. "Gauri, uski galti nahi hai..." Omkara was quick to defend his daughter, only to be silenced with one glare from his wife. Then turning her attention to Karu, she said in a slow, yet menacing tone, "Karunya Omkara Singh Oberoi," both the Karu's gulped; because whenever Gauri mentioned their full names, it only meant some trouble for them; "I am giving you just half an hour. Aadhe ghante mein, you better get this mess cleared; I want the room spick and span, just the way it was, before this hurricane took place her." Karu nodded quickly.

"And Omkara Singh Oberoi," Ah, that full name again... "Wash your face and take those clips off, will you? Circus se bhaage hue joker lag rahe ho!" She said in an irritated tone when she noticed him standing there with his silly-painted face. Why did everything around her have to be so darn irritating, at this moment? Both father and daughter nodded, escaping from there, and got to completing their chores, one helping the other to finish their task earlier than it would take. Gauri fluffed a pillow, muttering something under her breath about being exhausted with everything, and laid down on the bed for a nap. It didn't take long for her breaths to turn into soft snores, slipping into a deep sleep.

Hours must have passed by. Gauri woke up with a jerk, when she felt like she was falling in her sleep. The room looked dark, as if it was late in the evening. How long had she slept? She heaved a sigh, feeling tired again, and sat up on the bed. Turning on the lights she saw the room was cleaner and neater than she had arranged this morning. She smiled to herself, and then felt guilty over yelling at her Karu and her Om. As if on cue, the door opened, and the three mischief makers entered into the room- Omkara, Karunya and two-year-old Riyansh Omkara Singh Oberoi. "Mmaaa" he babbled the second he saw his Mommy and almost leapt from Omkara's arms to Gauri's. "Hmmm, Mamma's little brat is finally awake, all set to trouble Mamma!" Omkara said teasingly, looking at Gauri's lighter mood, to which she grinned. "Papaaa..." Karu whined tugging at her Papa's kurta, "Don't call Ri a brat! He's my munchkin..." she said with a sweet smile, and Om-Gauri couldn't resist smiling at her, as Omkara ruffled her hair.