Waada

"Omkaraaajiii a shrill scream escaped her lips as she made a mad run towards her husband. Kaali Thakur smiled as his index finger applied pressure on the trigger of the gun, pointing it towards the long-haired man who dared to not only steal the woman he and his brothers lusted after, but also marry her. He could very well see the fear in Oberoi Sahab's eyes; Not the fear of his own death, but fear for the woman he fell in love with despite marrying her against his own will.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

***

"Iskealawa aur koi chaaranahihai Omkara ji. Sultana ji ne badi hi chalaaki se Maaji ko uljhaakerakhahai, Sasur ji bhiiska koi halnahinikaalpaarahehain. Aapsamajhkyunnahirahehain? Agar humne Sultana ji ki baatnahimaani, tohwohkuchbhikarsaktihai; aapki Maa ko jail bhibhejsaktihai." Gauri tried reasoning with Omkara, who kept pacing the room like a hungry caged lion. Swetlana had strategically trapped Jhanvi and the Oberoi Family with a video clipping that showed an accidental murder of her obsessed lover. Swetlana had then placed a condition that she would change her mind about releasing the video into the media's claws, only if Gauri came ahead, alone of course, to negotiate with her. Omkara had already known how dangerous and downright dirty Swetlana could play her cards, and he could already sense the danger that Gauri was planning to put herself in by obliging to Swetlana's threats. "No Gauri. I won't let you go. I don't care what Swetlana's demands are, but I cannot let you go!" He said, pausing for a minute, and then resumed pacing the room. Rudra and Bhavya who were present in the room too agreed with Omkara. "Lekin Omkara ji..." "No, Gauri, and that's the end of the discussion" But Gauri being Gauri was adamant, and after a lot of convincing and pleading, Omkara had given in only on one condition, despite her protests- "You aren't going alone." Bhavya had offered to provide a heavy police protection with the best of the undercover force, and the four of them had hatched up a plan to not just obtain the video footage from Swetlana, but also to trap the cunning woman in her own trap she had made.

***

Bang!

A fourth gunshot was made. A huge number of policemen gathered around Gauri and Omkara, and another group of policemen ran towards Kaali Thakur who was shot by Bhavya in his leg, and had dropped the gun he had just fired. A wicked smile still adorned the monster's lips as he said, "Agar wohchiraiyyahamarinahi, tohaapkibhinahi, Omkara Sahab." A pool of blood formed around Gauri and Omkara. "Kuchnahihoga... kuchnahihoga" a whisper of consolation and prayer was heard by the other one. From a distance, Bhavya and Rudra had come running. "Bahut khoonbehgaya. Inheturanth hospital le jaanahoga... nahitoh..." Bhavya left the statement incomplete, as a pair of eyes stared back at her in horror.

***

"Are you sure of what you're doing? We can still back out." Omkara asked her again as the car came to a halt, a kilometer away from the godforsaken place where Swetlana had asked Gauri to come. The plan was to follow Gauri closely while she would travel to the said destination in a rickshaw. "Koi chalaaki mat karna Gauri," Swetlana had warned her, "nahitohek phone call lagegamujhe Oberoi family ki izzat ki dhajiyaudaane." But Omkara Singh Oberoi was determined not to give in to Swetlana's empty threats so easily. He had known of ways to take her down, and this time he would take her down and make her stay there; it would teach the goddamn woman not to mess with him or his family. But somehow, Om also feared for Gauri, and also knew that Gauri was as nervous as he was, and her fingers fidgeting with the end of her shawl only expressed the turmoil within her. "Haanhaan, patahain," She said, putting on a brave face, "Kuchnahihogahame" Omkara held her ice-cold hands, and with a gentle squeeze he said, "Aur main tumhekuch hone bhinahidoonga." She closed her eyes, allowing his words to sink into her heart and mind. There was something odd about this moment, as if a dark cloud of melancholy hung around them. "Hum jaantehainkeaapkehotehuyehumekuchnahihoga." Omkara felt his heart swell with pride at the faith she had in him. A small smile appeared on his lips and in an instant, he pulled her petite frame against himself and hugged her. "Stay safe, please, mere liye" he whispered in her ears, and she simply nodded in response.