Ranjishein : Part 1

Part One

Omkara smiled to himself as he walked down the passage of the corridor. Daadi's birthday celebrations were a huge success, and what made him proud was that all the guests had great appreciation for the food; a responsibility that his chiraiyya had handled exceptionally well. He paused walking, and placed his hand on his heart, wondering how his heart had begun beating so fast with just her thought. The Omkara Singh Oberoi, who once hated the thought of love, had fallen so much in love with his wife, that he was now reduced to a love-sick puppy; a teenager whose heart fluttered at a mere thought about her.

As he walked towards his room, he recalled the events that took place since a few weeks, where he had almost lost her. He hadn't even got the time to speak to her ever since they were back to the Oberoi Mansion. First it was because of Rudy's stubbornness of going to Goa, and then it was about the whole Pia fiasco. But tonight, everything had been sorted. Something had come over Pia, who apologized for having blackmailed the Oberoi Brothers with videos, and she had agreed to walk away quietly after she had deleted the videos in front of them. She had said to the OBros that she knew how much ShivOm loved their respective wives, and had decided to step back from her cruel intentions of letting the OBahus know about the incident at Goa. And so, Omkara was at peace. Finally, tonight, he could spend time with his wife without any disturbance. Speaking of his chiraiyya, he recalled he hadn't seen her around ever since Daadi's cake cutting. Wondering where she could have been hiding, he marched to his room, only to be taken by surprise.

The whole room was lit with candles and rose petals; it looked like the room decorated for a newly wedded couple on their wedding night. The miniature lights adorned the pathway from the door to the bed. A dim table-lamp- a pair of swans- sat on the side table. The room smelled of jasmines and orchids. And just when he thought his eyes had seen enough of beautiful things, he heard the tinkling of her anklets as she stepped out of the bathroom. The sight that met his eyes made his heart skip a beat. She looked ethereal, and as she walked towards him with her shy gaze on the floor and a small smile on her lips, he forgot to breathe. She wore a pristine white saree- the same one he had gifted her at the motel before he had hurled accusations of infidelity and adultery at her. The hurtful memory brought about a wave of guilt over him. And he knew that no matter how much he would apologize for it, he could never be sorry enough.

His thoughts came to a halt as Gauri stood in front of him. She looked divine. "Gauri..." he began to say, and she interrupted his talk by placing a finger on his lip. "Omkara ji, hum dono ne baaton mein bahut waqt zaaya kar diya. Ab aur nahin. Hum chahte hain ke aaj ki raat hamari zindagi ki sabse yaadgaar raat ho..." She wound her arms round his waist, and placed her head against his chest. Omkara closed his eyes at her words, and at the way her body felt so wonderful against his. Unwillingly and slowly, he pulled away from her, and looked into her eyes, that were as dark as the thunderstorm, and he wished to get drowned in those eyes. She cupped his face, and drew him closer to her, and placed a soft kiss on both his cheeks. Omkara grazed her waist, and the curve of her hip; with his grip tightening there, he pulled her close. His lips trembled in anticipation of feeling her lips against his. And soon, he found her lips brushing against his. He heard her gasp at the contact, and he slowly suckled on her lower lip.

Omkara felt his body turn into a blazing furnace when he kissed her. Right now, he wanted nothing more than kissing her. Well, scratch that. He had a lot more in his mind for this night that would leave her wanting for more. He felt her nails running up his arms and settle on his chest. He pulled away as she rested her palm on his heart. "Aap humse itna pyaar kaise kar sakte hain, Omkara ji?" she asked with her eyes closed, reveling in the sensations that his lips against hers had created. Omkara smiled, his lips pressed against her cheek, "Kyun ki tum sirf mera pyaar nahi ho; Tum mera ishq ho, mera junoon ho, meri ibaadat, mera kalma, mera azaan ho, meri deen, mera imaan ho, tum meri duniya ho, mera jahaan ho..." At this, he felt his cheek getting wet, and he pulled away to watch a tear slid down her eye. He wiped her tear away and smiled, "Maine yeh saari baatein tumhe rulaane ke liye thodi kaha?" And then, he sounded a bit serious, "Tumhare aankhon se ek bhi aansoon gire, toh mujhe dard yahaan hota hai, Gauri..." he said, as he placed his hand over hers, which rested at his heart, "When you cry, it feels as if my heart has been slit open and left to bleed..." He said and kissed her forehead as she now watched him with an unreadable expression. Pausing for a moment, he asked in his softest tone with a sweet smile on his lips, "Kya hua, Gauri?"

She shook her head and smiled, evaporating the questions from her eyes. "Kuch nahi..." she said as she held his hand and led him to the bed. Lying down in the centre of it, she looked at her husband, as if waiting for him to make her his. Omkara smiled at her, as he leaned down to settle next to her. Hovering above her, he rested his weight on his elbows, and he bent down to take her lips in his. After hesitating for a second, she gave in and kissed him back. She heard him moan as she nibbled on her lips. Slowly, his fingers cupped her face and he bent his head to kiss the nape of her neck. As his lips brushed against her skin, she sighed and asked him, "Kaisa lag raha hai aapko?" He smiled against her skin, and before he could tell her that he was almost in paradise, she asked him, "Ya phir uss Piya ke saath zyaada mazaa aa raha tha aapko?"

Omkara felt his whole body turn numb for a moment, and he moved away from her as if he was struck by a jolt of lightening. Then, when he saw her face, his heart shattered to pieces. Gone was the smile on her lips; gone was the love in her eyes. All that he saw in front of him was a broken woman, with tears streaming down her cheek, who looked like she had lost her faith in something that she cherished the most. And a cold dread washed over him as he learnt the reason for her heart-break. It was Him.

***