Phir Milenge : Part 2

Part Two

"Oh my my! Look who's here!" Riddhima whistled as the whole group saw a practically-glowing Omkara Singh Oberoi, suited up, with a million dollar smile on his face. "I missed you guys!" he said loudly with his arms wide open for a group hug, during which Shivaay slapped his arm away. "Missed us? Right! And that is why the only time we knew you were alive in Sweden was when you sent an RSVP for the graduation after-party." Omkara bit the tip of his tongue and held his ears, "I'm sorry, guys. But look at the bright side, I am here now. So why talk about the past?" They all agreed with a laugh. "By the way, Uncle and Aunty did not come?" Annika asked, and Omkara shook his head with a bitter smile, "Mr. Oberoi had to accompany Swetlana to a charity event, and Mrs. Oberoi was too drunk to be brought to senses. So I guess, It's just me here today!" Rudra patted Omkara, "Why just you? We are family too, right?" The five of them agreed with a loud cheer; RASOR was back with a bang, as some would say! And then, they shared a group hug, amidst warm smiles.

And suddenly, Omkara withdrew from the hug, as if sensing something behind him. Turning around, he saw Gauri near the entrance of the college gate, and his smile almost threatened to split his face into two. She hadn't seen him yet, for as always, she had her gaze on the floor. "Om, there's something you should know; something we should've told you long back..." Shivaay said in a sober tone when he saw Omkara looking at Gauri, like she meant the world to him. Omkara nodded, without taking his eyes off of Gauri. And in the very next second, his smile vanished and was replaced with a frown. A bespectacled man with a moustache stood next to Gauri, and placed his arm at her hip, while her gaze was still on the carpeted ground. And then, he saw the unmistakeable signs- her red set of bangles, her black beaded nuptial chain, a plain gold wedding ring on her right ring-finger and the dark red vermillion on the partition of her hairline at her forehead, as Shivaay said, "Gauri got married two months back." Omkara refused to react, despite his group giving him a shake and hugging him. Seconds later, he whispered, still reeling from the shock, "I asked her to wait. Why didn't she wait for me?"

Gauri and her husband walked through the aisle and as he patted her back while whispering something in her ears, she nodded with a meek smile. Her husband sat a few rows behind, while she occupied the seat allotted to her. "Students and their respective families are requested to take their seats. We'll be starting the ceremony shortly..." an announcement was made. As Omkara made his way to his seat, which was two rows behind Gauri, he noticed her looking at her red bangles with a distant smile. "How can she be happy, when I am bleeding to death here? Did my love mean nothing at all?" he whispered to himself. As the ceremony began and the speeches were being recited, Omkara's focus was on Gauri alone. He recalled his words to her, "Wait for me, Gauri, and I will be back to ask your Bade Papa for your hand in marriage. Ek saal, chiraiyya. Mera intezaar karna..." Did his pleas mean nothing to her? Did she never bother to give them a chance?

Soon, the students began to form a queue in order of their names, to receive their convocation certificate. He saw Gauri stand up and join the queue, while standing a few students behind her. He watched her go on stage and proudly receive her certificate with a smile. He turned around to look at her husband, who stood up and cheered for her. Omkara frowned as his hands balled into fists; why did this man look so happy? Was Gauri really happy with him? More importantly, was he happy with Gauri? Did Gauri really forget that a certain Omkara was still in love with her and had kept to his word about waiting for her. Was it so easy to just dismiss his love, and move on in life, with this so-called husband of hers?

And soon, it was Omkara's turn to go on stage. "Om, go!" Shivaay and Rudra pushed him forcibly, when he stood rooted to the ground, still lost in thoughts. He blankly went on stage, took the certificate, and looked at the seat where Gauri sat earlier. She wasn't to be seen. He looked at where her husband sat; he wasn't there too. They had left already! With a sad smile at his cursed fate, he stepped down the stage and walked away, disappearing into a corner.