Chapter Fifty Three

I left the room and Austin followed behind me.

We went downstairs and into the living room where I put on cartoons for Max to watch.

It was Phineas and Ferb which I also enjoy watching, so it's a win win.

I looked down at Max as he giggles occasionally whenever Perry wore a hat.

It was very cute.

"Take the kid, I'm gonna go call the Monets," I tell Austin as I hand him Max who started to cry.

I went outside and just took a deep breath in and out over and over until I knew I could call without voice cracking.

"Belle?" I heard Mrs. Monet ask.

"Do you still have Sache's baby seat for a car?" I ask them.

"Yeah, do you need to borrow it?" She asks.

"Yes please," I say.

"I'll drop it off at Ezio's, if you're there," she quickly said.

"I'm there, see you soon," I say as I hang up.

I collected myself again and went inside after painting a smile on my face.

I went to the living room where I heard the echoes of cries come from.

"Oh poor boy," I say as I pick Max up. "Your cousin isn't being nice is he?"

I put my finger back in his mouth and he calmed right down. I decided to sit on the couch next to Austin and just wait.

He wrapped his arm around me and we sat there watching the show until Austin started to say something then stopped.

I turned to him and motioned for him to say what he wants to.

"Can I ask what you're hiding?" Austin questions.

"You just did," I chuckle.

"Are you gonna answer?" He asks.

"Probably not," I sigh.

"That's okay," Austin says.

"Thank you," I whisper as I look down at Max.

He continued to giggle as I got my finger free and bounced him from one leg to the other.

If you just keep them distracted they'll forget about the pain.

He continued to giggle until the door rang and that got his attention along with his cousin getting up.

Max let out a yawn and curled into my arms and started to take longer and more soothing breaths.

I looked down at the sleeping baby and felt a smile creep up on my face and a singular tear run down my cheek.

"Beautiful?" I heard Jessie ask.

I blinked back the rest of the tears before looking up.

Jessie set down the car seat and I strapped Max in who continued to sleep.

"Belle," Mr. Monet calmly said as he patted my back.

"Where is Austin?" I ask.

"He's talking to Mom," Jessie tells me.

"Belle," Mr. Monet says again.

I look over to him and he has a frown on his face as he read right through me.

"You were a great mom," he tells me.

At that I broke down crying.

No, I wasn't crying I was sobbing.