Chapter 23 Betrayal

Alexis POV
I ran and ran through the night, across grass patches and winding roads leading from Kayden's house to mine. Tears streaming down and heat radiating from my face.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

The screams were back. Haunting me again.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

I closed my ears hoping to shield the voice piercing in them. My head throbbed as sliced through my brains system and cracked open the Pandora's box that was shut for so long.

A memory! But whose? I didn't know! Two girls, a man and the screams of a women in great pain, a hospital and the smell of antibiotics in the air. Then BLACK OUT!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Stumbling and dragging, I reached the edge of the pine forest from where I could see my house clearly. Sometimes Annabeth, Kyle and I would come here to play and look at all the little things. We would spend hours here and mom and dad had to call us back. It was paradise for us.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw a black SUV parked outside my house. No one I knew owned a SUV so who could they be.

I hid behind one of the trees and waited to see who came out but was disappointed for quite sometime.

Then I saw a man in a black suit come outside and as if he were surveying the place, look around. When he came under the light I noticed that he was the same guy who picked me up from school one day.

The FBI Agent!

What was his name....uhhh....Mark...wait no... Max. Maximilian, right!

He was dressed in the same Armani suit and shades...seriously! Damn it was night!

He came to the edge of the porch, motioned towards the SUV and went back inside. Moments later the front door opened to reveal his partner carrying a briefcase inside my house.

What the hell! What was the FBI doing here again?

I pinned myself to the tree and replayed the scenes from Kayden's place over and over again. My eyes were red from crying and tears had soaked my cheeks.

I slid down to the foot of the tree I was leaning on. I didn't have the energy to go home nor did I wanna see those pansies. So I sat down, bringing my knees up to my chin and rested my head on them.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
"Alexis! Alexis! Come on get up!" my sister's voice buzzed in my ear.

"Five more minutes Annabeth", I growled. Suddenly it came to my realization where I might be. I jerked up from my place at the foot of the tree, looked around for Annabeth and found her staring at me, arms crossed over her chest and feet tapping on the forest floor. "Hey!"

"Hey my foot missy. Where were you last night? You have any idea how worried we all were?" she said angrily.

"I....uh...wait a sec I did tell you", I said in defense. I did, you know!

"And what were those FBI dudes doing at home", I enquired. "That's another reason why I made he forest my sleeping bag".

"Well that's good they didn't see you. Nut cases they are, believe me", she replied somewhat scared and worried. "Now let's get you inside before you die of pine cone disease".

"There isn't anything like that, is there?" I asked curiously. Though she didn't bother to answer as she escorted me home never once taking her hand off me nor letting go. She kept looking behind her as if to look out for a stalker or something.