Chapter 31 The End of the Beginning

Scourged earth...

Burnt wood...

Blackened cement...

And Ashes....lots and lots of ashes...

The path that leads down to it was littered with memories...both physically and emotionally!

The mailbox at the gate, the potted plants that were now filled with debris, the overgrown weeds in the garden...my knees buckled at the thoughts, the memories....the pain that would never go away.

As I stood in the middle of the path forcing myself to look ahead and move forward but for some reason my feet refused to move and accept the reality that unfolded within just a mere 24 hours...

24 Hours Earlier
Alexis POV
I shoved my books in my locker as my phone beeped, indicating a text message. I locked my locker and checked who it was.

"Rezial!". Why would he want to meet me at the drawing room? Then I realized it maybe because of the project he was working on.

I looked at the time and it was nearly lunch so I went straight to Hana Kahn, I couldn't wait for the school to end.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
"Alexis, I know what you're going through, I'm not only your teacher but a friend with whom you can share everything and anything you want", Hana Kahn said when I took the seat in front of her.

"What do you mean?" I asked intriguingly. Honestly speaking I knew what she was talking about. After all she was the teacher, worse she was my teacher.

"You know what!" She said with a raised eyebrow. "Throughout your entire presentation you avoided everyone but Kayden, somehow your eyes seemed to circle right back to him and you would lose concentration like you did in your final exam last year".

I looked at her and I felt like I had a huge burden being lifted off of me. I didn't even have to say a word to explain how and what I felt.

"I don't know what happened to me, it's like my brain had stopped working and the only thing I could think of was Kayden then this year I called everything off, I didn't want the responsibility of seeing my parents or anyone for that matter look down on me or pity me....or...Orr......", I broke into sobs, cradling my head in my hand and my arms braced on my knees.

Hana Kahn reached for me and stroked my hair. "Sweety, you didn't do anything wrong, I know that and everyone who cares for you knows that", she said. "You know a freshman once told me.... Do what you have to do, coz those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter".

I looked at her when she said that and she smiled at me. "That was you, wasn't it?"

I nodded and grinned through my tear strained face. "Listen to your head Alexis, only your head, when it come to decisions that concern you because you think for everyone when you use your heart and that has led you to where you are right now", her voice was stern and had concern and worry in it. "Leaving your past will not only help you sleep better at night but it will also make you strong and you need that if you want to change the world, your world!.....Alexis, people like you are very rare and you can only win if you let your opponent believe they have won, only to strike when they are vulnerable like they did to you".

I wiped my tears and nodded my understanding to her comment. "Thank you!".

"I'm happy to help however I can honey", she said, smiling.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
"......Leaving your past will not only help you sleep better at night......it will also make you strong......you need that if you want to change the world, your world!.....", Hana Kahn's voice rang in my head as I exited the staffroom and turned left on the corridor. I had to move on, from Kayden and from my past. I had to stop blaming myself for the mistakes I made or did not make so that I can change the world.....but for that I had to change myself.