Chapter 1 Family

"Alexis!", my sister yelled in the morning. It was always the way to start a day, to hear Annabeth Rogers scream at the top of her lungs.

I lay in bed waiting for her to come wake me up.

Annabeth was the oldest of my siblings, at 18 years of age. This was her last year at Maycomb High School and she had been bidding her time for long. She was going to study medicine in the city.

After what felt just like minutes I felt a cold slap on my feet only to look up and see my sister standing at the end of my bed. She had no sense of dressing and I was the one to tell her that ever so often. Today she look awfully peculiar, dressed in a mother hubboard dress, a wooly beanie and a very dirty apron. I groaned in my pillow and beat against my mattress like a five year old in need of chocolate in the morning.

She shook me again and this time I got up and sat stubbornly on the bed. My face screwed in disgust and my arms folded across my blue star print nightshirt. Instinctively, she came to the side of my bed and nudged me.
"What's wrong?", she asked.
" What's wrong! What's wrong! You tell me what's wrong", I told her.
She looked around my bedroom and shrugged her shoulders. Aside from the bed my room had a study table, that my father made for me when I was eight, a stack of story books which I had read a million times and an ancient cupboard. My parents were few of those left in the farming occupation thus we didn't have fancy things that others did, but we were happy because we had each other.

After quite a struggle she managed to get part of the answer correct.
"Is there something wrong with your clothes?", she figured, considering the way I had hung my uniform in front of the cupboard.

"There is a problem of clothes but it ain't mine! It's yours", I corrected her.
"Mine! What's wrong with my clothes??", she asked with a puzzled look.
"You look like grandma, that's what! Please change into something more age appropriate and something that suites my image, young lady", I said with a wisp of authority.
"Oh very funny madam cadet", she scoffed and turned to leave. However she stopped in the way. "And out of bed in 2 minutes of I'll send Kyle to wake you up".
Oh noooo, not him please, I'm up, see". And to prove I wasn't lying I got out of bed quicker then she could say howdy do.
Kyle was my notorious younger brother. He was five but utterly persistent and an 11 on the scale of 1 to 10 of naughtiness.

He could do what average five year old boys couldn't, which made him special to others but irritating and dangerous for us. Though he was mighty adorable and was easily forgiven. That meant no complaint about him would stay for long in mum and dad's book. Usually he got away with everything and we ended up with big booboo's.
Recently Annabeth had started threatening me with his delirious work of art. That is his wake up technique.
He would slap you with a sling and then when you go and chase him, he'll pummel you in mud and wash you in the freezing water. And god that sling does hurt a lot and the water slices the skin better than a knife.

This was but a part of my family. My brother and sister were my life and I was theirs, kind of like Jack and Jill. We would do anything for each other, and to each other as well. Which happens to be the reason why I got selected in the martial arts club and the cadet training squad.

Three years ago Annabeth and I were on our way home from school when my sisters' classmates stopped us on the way. They were utterly gruesome as if they hadn't bathe in ages. They were dressed in torn off dungarees and plain t-shirts that said "Hell Boy". That wasn't all, their boots were all dusty and dirty and the hair all messed up. My sister hugged me tightly and told them she didn't have anything to spare. But they were adamant and started pulling my sister. On instinct I acted, I had no idea what I was thinking, I picked up a stick from the ground and beat them with it. I had to admit I was surprised at what I did, considering my height. i was the smallest girl in my Year. Utterly embarrassing but it didn't matter because I was good at everything the others were and much more. The rage with which I beat them was shocking for Annabeth and even more for me. Then the sight of those thugs was hilarious. They rolled all over the muddy ground and yelped in pain. I saw a black SUV stop by so I beat them even harder in the hope that it was their parents. After screaming and rolling while being turned black and blue by a girl, they decided it was enough embarrassment for one day. So they fled with the little dignity they had left.

As for Annabeth and I we came back home laughing and we made a promise not to tell anyone about it. Our usual "pinky promise".

After that day, Annabeth encouraged me to take up martial arts and cadet training. It was actually very good. And today happened to be the graduation of the first batch of cadets admitting into high school.
"Alexandra! Are you up yet," yelled my sister from the kitchen. That brought me jolting back to reality.
I had to get ready. I had so many things to do.

I finally got out of bed limping and lumbering, yawning and scratching I made my way to the bathroom I gazed upon my reflection in the mirror and a naive young and fragile girl stared back at me but I knew I had to stay strong for my parents sake.

Clean and fresh after a shower I dressed in my cadets uniform. All the round black pants and shirt with golden badge of honor and to top it all a knot scarf.

Satisfied with my appearance I made my way to the breakfast table happy and excited only to find Xander Rogers sitting at the very end of the table sipping on his extra large mug of coffee. The newspaper wide open in front of him and he was staring at it as if the news will jump out any second.

I took my seat on the opposite side of my father and just as I did he grunted loudly. My heart skipped a beat. Xander Rogers was every inch the kind of man any women would ever want as her life partner. He was handsome with big brown eyes and light brown skin. With all the work he did on his farm everyday it gave him a bit of exercise daily which meant my mother had a hard time keeping our neighbor ladies from coming to our house to glimpse my dad's six pack ab's. Hilarious really to see older women behaving like teenage hippies.

"Why are you late, Alex?" he said after a while. I busied myself in my toasted bread and scrambled eggs.
"She won't answer now would she. Tell your father that you had been up all night telling stories," came the voice of my dear mother.

"Oh give it a rest, Vida," my father finally said dropping the angry attitude. Vida Miller Rogers, daughter of former golf player Robert Miller and my lovely mother. Even after 20 years of marriage she was as beautiful as before. With curly blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes she had mesmerized my father into falling in love so badly that he ended up marrying her even when grandpa Rob refused of it. She had a supermodel figure and I can agree with grandpa,she would have made it to great heights but she fell in love. Thats right she FELL in LOVE. This thing can make people do many odd things and this was one of them. But if love hadn't brought my parents together I wouldn't have made it to this world.

Disappointed yet smiling, hating love but loving my mum and dad a lot. This LOVE is more confusing than me. Gosh!!

✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫
Hy guys! thnx soooo much for reading my book...it means a lot!
I know its boring but I've been cooking the storyline for quite sometime.....plizzzz let me know how it was and what it needs!
plizzz....
READ 📳
VOTE
COMMENT 💬
SHARE 💌
PROMOTE 👤👥
💟 Ayat_Khan 🎶