Chapter 27 Memory Lane

"Hehehehehehee...."
"Boooohooo", I tried saying in between giggles. "Wonder who made you a soccer rep!"
"Hey now don't go there", Kayden replied, resting his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath.
It was one of those Saturday mornings when you get up, turn off the alarm and cover you head with your blanket and cuddle in for a long sleep but I couldn't when I found dozens of white roses waiting for me at the place where my alarm used to be.
"Good morning love!" Came a familiar voice.
I turned to it only to find myself staring at intense grey eyes that took my breath away.
"Morning...uh what are you doing in my bedroom?"
Yeah I ask my boyfriend that question when he practically walked through the front door where my parents were.
"I have a surprise for you!" And with that he whisked me out of bed, shoved me in the bathroom for me to wash up and when I came out he dragged me out to the daisy patch.
Laid in front of me was a purple and white checked cloth on top of which was a picnic basket, a bouquet of multicolored tulips and a box of Ferraro Rocha chocolates.
"How about a race to sunrise point before we dig into this".

Alexis POV
I walk up the stairs leading to the loft where I find I shadow stretching right up to where I stood.

"Kayden!" I mutter softly.

He turned around from the window which overlooked the green field and the sunset.

"Hey! Sorry I had to be subtle, I didn't want to scare you", he said. Honestly those were the first words I had heard in a very long time. Other times I'd just panic if I didn't hear him for even an hour.

"Hey Alexis any word from Kayden yet?" Zaheen asked while we were having lunch in the cafeteria.
"No not yet", I replied. "I've left him like a million messages and he hasn't replied to any of them".
I picked up my mash potato and steak meal and dumped it in the rubbish bin, immediately regretting it. I wasn't one of those who wasted food for I knew the world crisis and those who would do anything to have what I have right now. But at the moment I was a bit preoccupied to pay attention to that.
Kayden was in Kansas for a soccer championship and we haven't talked for a month, so forgive me if I'm a little careless.
"Hey gorgeous! Is it me you're calling", came a familiar voice from behind.
"Oh my god, Kayden", I ran and engulfed him in a bear hug. My heart racing a million mile a minute and tears brimming my eyes. "Oh I missed you so much. Why didn't you answer to any of my calls nor replied to any of my messages, you didn't even come online, I was so worried..."
"Easy princess I'm here now and I'm super-fine", his voice soothing to my ears. He put his arms around me, planted a kiss on my forehead calming me in ways unimaginable.

"What are you doing here?" I forced myself to spit out. God knows how hard I was trying just to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

"I came to see you, maybe sort things out", he said soberly.

"There is nothing to sort out". I walked to the spot where he stood and braced myself against the wall. He was only a feet away yet he seemed so far.

"Yes there is!" his voice shook as those words came out. "I love you Alexis!".

"I can't base my life on that Kayden", this time I was the one choking on my tears. "I do love you but it seems someone else has the upper hand in our lives and I'm pretty sure it's not God".

"But..."

"Kayden, we can't be together with people who hate me still in our lives and I don't want to be the one to distance you for your friends", I said, in between sobs.

"I'll talk to Zakira, just don't give up on me please", he replied. He inched closer to me until he was holding me in his arms, my head resting on his shoulder and tears drenching his shirt. It's felt like he had never been more close.

"Hey baby", Kayden said as he sat down beside me. "I came as soon as I got you're message".
"Thanks", I said soberly. The truth was I could barely keep it together. "There's something I want to tell you, I'm not who you think I am".
When he gave me I-don't-know-what-you're-getting-at expression, I kept going. "My parents aren't Xander and Vida Rogers".
I paused to look at his face for a sign that tells me to go on but I'm am disappointed. I fiddle with my fingers in my lap, I felt a tinge of rough skin close my hands and I looked up to find him looking at me. Tears streamed down my face and in an instant his hands were wiping them off and pulling my head close. His hand was keeping my head resting on his shoulder as he buried his face in my hair.
"I'm adopted!" I muffled in between sobs.
"So?!" he remarked. "It's didn't change the way Xander and Vida looked at you and it sure as hell doesn't change how I feel about you".
"I'm not from here and I don't even know who my real parents are, it's like I don't even exist".
"None of that matters Xander and Vida are your parents and they love you very much maybe more than they love Annabeth and Kyle so you do exist, for them and for me, you have more people who love you than any other person that I know because you're special and you look Sooo cute when you cry", he said cheerfully.
"If that was humor I think I've lost my sense of it", I replied.

"No, I don't want you to", I said, my voice muffled.

"Why not?" he plead. "Don't you want everything to go back to the way it was? Like we used to be together".

"Nothing can go back to the way it was, what this relationship needed was us and I hate to say it but we weren't in it. The love we have for each other has turned to something else", I justified. "This time I am the one backing out".

"I have had it with you and your lies", Kayden screamed at the top of his voice. Luckily the locker room in the gym was empty.
What you expect to be a nice, normal day at the expense of the school in the gym was not going so well for me.
Kayden and I were having a fight.
As much as I wish for it to be physical so that I could strangle him. It was just us, yelling at each other about a rumor he had heard about me, again!
"Tell me when you disappear for hours and then come back tired and worn out, don't you think I'd notice, huh!" he screamed. "After what I heard I don't think I believe a word you have to say".
He slammed the door of his locker and the punched the door hard, hate to imagine if I was there I would have lost a couple of teeth myself.
"Okay this would be a whole lot better if I knew what it is that you actually heard about me?!" I asked with more anger then confusion in my voice.
"Really Alexis , are you really gonna deny it? I can't believe this!", he retorted. "People saw you kissing and hugging Mike like he was your husband!".
"What?!" I exclaimed. My temperature was about a 100 degrees now. "Who the hell told you that shit of a story?".
"Don't yell at me and I don't care what color your eyes are, that doesn't change the fact that you did what they say".
It was true. My eyes were blood red when I was angry, and imagine what they were like right now.
"Who are 'they'? Who told you all this?"
"I won't tell you who because I know how you will react and I don't want someone who only wanted best for us to get blown off for telling me the truth", he said and picked his bag to leave. "I guess I loved the wrong person, we're done Alexis, don't bother coming back coz I don't need you anymore".

"Goodbye Kayden!" I said and turned away from him and walked over to the other window. Minutes later I heard heavy footsteps and creeks as he made his way down from the barn loft. I watched as his figure retreated into the twilight.

This was perhaps the last time I was seeing Kayden, or maybe not.

As much as I resented it, I wanted him back, I love him, but I wasn't going to be the weak one and confront him. If he wants this as much as I do he will come back. And if he doesn't then I will know that we were never meant to be.
🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟💫✨🌟
Hello people!
Song by Olly Murs and Demi Lovato- UP (😍love it...and it totally matches this chapter)
This chappie has a lot of flashback *BEWARES*...lol. It's coz these are the scenes I haven't put in any chapter...I didn't label them coz that would make it obvious and the whole point of reading is to get our minds to work....so tell me how it was?
Plizzz...
READ 📳
VOTE
COMMENT
SHARE 💌
PROMOTE 👤👥
💟 Ayat_Khan 🎶