.3. She is a bitch

If I relaxed my body now, I'd fall apart. I've always lived like this, and it's the only way I know how to go on living. If I relaxed for a second, I'd never find my way back. I'd go to pieces, and the pieces would be blown away. Why can't you see that?

Haruki Murakami

. . .

Leyla

New York City, New York

I hated flights. I despised being in a place I couldn't storm out of.

We landed on schedule and soon enough we were in New York City, walking on the sidewalk.

"Why do I have to wear a stupid dress anyway?" Gabriella grumbled from beside me while looking through the dresses in the boutique. Gabriella had 'forgotten' her dress at home, which I knew was her hoping she wouldn't have to wear it. It was a pretty dress, sparkling silver which would have looked lovely on her but it had been chosen by Leona, something which dimmed the beauty of the dress enough for her to hate it.

I sighed. "Just choose one, Gab. I need coffee."

"You always need coffee. You are addicted."

"At least it's not heroin." I shrugged.

She cracked a smile and then sighed, finally pulling out a red dress with her long fingers. She held it in front of her body, raising an eyebrow at me.

I hummed. It was a pretty dress with a boat neck and frill on the hem of the fluffy skirt. It would look good on her body. She could wrap her dark hair up in a bun with a few strands framing her face and she'd look good. "It's beautiful."

She nodded, marching up to the counter with the heel of her boots clicking on the floor. My sister was a wild free creature who had her heart tender for very few people. At the age of only fifteen, she possessed a deep understanding of the world, and perhaps that was the reason she was so grumpy about everything. She might be the wild one, but she wasn't a dreamer like me and Astrid.

I hoped for a better life. Even though I was just eighteen, I had it all planned out. What I wanted to do. What I wanted to study - it was all planned out. I was going to see things. I was going to know things. I was going to experience things. I wanted it all.

And my life would start in a year, as I had decided to take a one-year break following my awful high school break up.

Before long, Gabriella and I were again walking side by side on one of the sidewalks of Manhattan.

And just then a fancy-looking car stopped beside us and stepped out Olivia Woods, my step-sister.

Gabrielle made a face but let it go after I shot her a glare.

Olivia smiled at us. She looked beautiful, there were many things I envied her for but her beauty had to be the topmost. Her hair was up in a ponytail, some strands framing her face. Her face was void of makeup and she was dressed in a white dress with black boots and a leather jacket. Her aviators were in her hand, the hand on which a large elegant ring sat.

Suddenly I felt self-conscious. I was wearing a sweatshirt with skinny jeans, my hair was up in a bad bun and maybe the bun was held in place by my pencil which had been the first thing I could grab when Gabriella dragged me outside for dress shopping.

"Hello, Gabriella, Leyla. I didn't know you came a day early."

"Didn't your mother tell you?" Gabriella raised her eyebrows, putting her hands on the pocket of her jacket.

Olivia gave her a tight smile. "She is as good to me as she is to you, Gabriella."

"So she's a bitch?"

Olivia nodded. "She is a bitch."

Gabriella didn't smile as I had expected her to. "So are you, you know? I'm surprised you remember my name."

"Gabriella!" My eyes widened. Her hate for Olivia never faded. She used to worship our stepsister, but then Olivia moved away and the calls stopped completely. We couldn't blame her for wanting to get away from her mother, but her leaving us and then not even calling hurt.

Olivia let out a breath, eyes darting away from us. "I am s-"

"Keep it." Gabriella walked forward, her shoulder colliding with Olivia's as she did.

I muttered a 'sorry' to Olivia and jogged to catch up with Gabriella.

"You didn't have to say that."

"She deserved it."

. . .

"Three hours," Leona reminded us. "Not a second more." She walked out of the room.

I looked at Gabriella who was laying pi the couch with her pizza slice in her hand and her eyes glued to the TV. "You heard her. Get your ass up and get it ready."

She sighed, throwing her head back in exhaustion. "Why do I have to go?"

"It's going to be the wedding of the year." I sat down on a couch. "You don't want to miss it."

"Oh, I do!"

"Get ready," I said firmly. "I don't want to make father wait."

That made her shot out of the couch.

. . .

My dress was red. It wrapped around me like a glove. I let my hair down in soft curls, did more makeup than usual on my face, and put red matte lipstick on my lips. I loved red on my lips, it always looked pretty to me and I felt a tad bit more confident while wearing it, along with my red heels which had ribbons on them that wrapped around my ankle.

Once dressed I helped Astrid dress, made Gabrielle hurry up by lying about the time, and we were ready just five minutes after the given fine. Thankfully, father was yet to be done getting his hair styled so we were saved. Making him late would have ended up badly, especially on an important day like today. Being seen handing over the Creeds' bride would be a big thing for everyone. People would think that the Creeds and their friends - the Valentinos and the Sokolovs supported father, a good thing for a man in power to have people think he knew people who were known for the blood they spilled.

In the corner of my mind, I wondered if the Valentinos would be there. Probably yes. I knew they were good friends with the Creeds. They would be there.

Would they talk to me?

I wondered why the possibility of them talking to me didn't feel disastrous.

. . .