.90. Rosa

"I think we deserve

a soft epilogue, my love.

We are good people

and we've suffered enough."

- Nikka Ursula

. . .

Fabiano Valentino

The ruins of the mansion looked like they housed no one till we sneaked closer. The night had fallen and my fear increased. 

Ashton glanced at me and nodded once. The ruins were surrounded. Zavier looked bloodthirsty - Giovanni looked to be on the brink of madness. 

Michael looked at me and then at the mansion. "The soldiers they have," he said. "I IDed them. Most of them worked under the Valentinos you killed. Some are those who followed Testa when he left Camorra."

Fucking great. 

I briefly thought about the message Giovanni had gotten.

I will get her out. Just play along.

Why was Testa suddenly playing white Knight? I didn't know. But I would blow his fucking brains out with a gun the second I got my hands on him. 

No light blinked. 

And then she appeared, a dark silhouette. Two men beside her, holding two women. 

Holding her. 

My Leyla. 

I crushed the anger down. 

I approached. I knew she must have had someone watching the roads. Giovanni and Dante were right beside me. Ashton, Zavier and Michael are behind us, followed by a few more men. More men appeared on her side - I recognized some. My hands twitched. 

She looked at us. I didn't look at her. I looked at Leyla. 

Her eyes were wide with fear as Cassian held her against him. She was just a few feet apart yet a million miles away. 

I looked back at Carla. "We are here," I said. 

"You bought an army."

"Should make instructions clear, sister," Giovanni said, smiling. "Exchanges are a hassle." He looked at Cassian. "Your father is dead, Testa."

Violence shimmered in his eyes but he spoke nothing. 

Carla smiled. "It was supposed to be a simple exchange but you are forcing my hand." She folded her arms against her chest - so much like how our mother did it. If we had been normal, would she have turned out like this?

If we had found her, would she have turned out like this? With this much madness inside of her?

I didn't know the answer. I didn't want to know the answer. I wanted my women safe. 

"You are surrounded," I said. "I don't see how you plan on getting out of this alive - much less killing us."

She smiled. "I have allies."

"More traitorous men?" Giovanni asked. 

"Bratva," She said. 

I felt it before I saw it. A gun pointed at the back of my head, a perfect practised aim. I turned. Three people stood there in the front, followed by armed men. 

Alexi Sokolov. 

"I do not appreciate being lied to," Alexi said, walking closer. "You really shouldn't have killed Angelo."