.45. Who?

Giovanni

My finger brushed against the tip of my knife as I walked inside, Scarlet struggling to keep up with me in her heels

My finger brushed against the tip of my knife as I walked inside, Scarlet struggling to keep up with me in her heels. I slowed down my steps.

I looked around the ballroom. It was large and wrapped in maroon and golden. The chandeliers hung down from the ceiling, flashing golden light on everything.

For a moment I could imagine her being here. Dressed in a red dress, looking radiant under the golden light on her dusky skin, her brown eyes lit up and her pretty curls brushing on her shoulders.

We could have another ball for her birthday, which was in a week or so.

In two weeks, Cassian's deadline would be up.

Carla or Leyla?

He'd die a terrible death.

Instantly I was approached by people trying to get on my good side. I did have a good side, and it was incredibly hard to get on it.

Fabiano was surrounded by people, too. As were the Creeds who looked tense. Olivia being near predators put them on edge. Olivia herself seemed to have grown a brain and was not running off alone.

I felt a strand of my hair brush against my forehead. Before I could push it back, Scarlet reached up and tucked it behind my ear. Before I could say anything in return, I was approached by Danilo La Rosa and his daughter. Danilo was the underboss of Tuscany.

"Mr Valentino." We shook hands. His daughter looked at me, her clear blue eyes were terrified. They looked alike, Danilo and his daughter, same clear blond hair and same fair skin.

"Hello, Mr Valentino." She meekly gave me a smile that seemed forced. Another daughter pushed to charm me, I suppose.

"Hello, Miss La Rosa."

"My daughter, Mr Valentino," Said Danilo, completely ignoring Scarlet. "Turned eighteen a week ago. We've been trying to find a match."

"Luca would be good." Was I throwing Luca under a bus? Yes. "Excuse me."

I walked away, sipping the bubbly champagne. My eyes searched the crowd, looking at my five targets for the night. I was going to take my time killing Jack. I'd kill his mind with fear, and then his body with my knife.

"I have to go to the washroom," Scarlet whispered to me. She looked just like her sister, Mindy.

I nodded and waved a soldier over to accompany her. With men like Jack roaming around, I was not going to take my chances with any woman. I had more security for the same reason.

One of the politicians, Kevin Denver, approached me with his wife.

We shook hands.

"Thank you for inviting us, Mr Valentino. This ball is beautiful." Kevin was a large man with his hair holding just a hint of hair and his face wrinkled. His wife was easily thirty years younger than him.

I nodded in return. "We've got a bit of entertainment for the night, too," I said. "My soldiers will escort you and your friends to a private room after the ball." I smiled a smile which I hoped was disgusting.

He didn't see through it. Excitement flickered in his eyes and he nodded instantly. "That would be great." Excusing himself, he walked away with his wife. I noticed the faint bruises on her neck, almost hidden my makeup.

Olivia walked towards me.

"What are you doing wandering alone?" I hissed.

"No one has the guts to touch me," she said, looking longingly at my champagne glass. "And look there." She nodded her head towards the Creeds who had their eyes glued on her as they talked to Luca, Fabiano and Dante.

"Guard dogs," I muttered.

"Good husbands." She shrugged. "You should have bought Rosa at least, Gio. She would have liked a night out."

"She needs to stay with Leyla."

"She does have a life, you know."

"If she wanted to come, she would have told me."

"Yeah and watch Dante surrounded by women." She sighed. "A good thing she didn't come, I guess."

We watched the crowd.

"Leyla wants to meet Gabby."

"I told you about the phone."

"We don't know if Gabby is involved with them."

"Yes because you won't let me interrogate her."

"You can't physically harm her."

"One night in the cell and she'll tell us everything." I glanced down at her disapproving face. "Your good husbands have done worse, Olivia. Don't give me that face."

"I know how much pleasure torture gives you six. You're not getting Gabby. She's under our protection."

"She's not meeting Leyla them. She's under our protection."

Her gaze cut to me. We were making it about the mafia. "You're seriously going to draw lines here?"

"I'd do anything to keep Leyla safe."

"What about keeping her happy?" She walked back to the Creeds. Olivia was like a little sister. We did not disagree on much.

I sighed. This ball could not go by fast enough. Being here was torture - pretending to not want to kill those six was a struggle. But if Fabiano wanted a hunt, I could not deny him. I know he raged just as much as me at the mere touch of Leyla being touched in a way she didn't like.

I wondered if she'd want to watch us kill them. Would that provide her with some sort of closure? When we had killed our abusers, it helped. But the memories do not go away. They stayed drilled in my mind.

I squeezed my eyes shut for just a moment. No weakness could be shown here when I was surrounded by my men and my countless uncles. Every Valentino who wasn't me and my brothers wanted to sit on the throne. They'd lose their legs before they did.

I pulled my phone out. If she was up, maybe I could go back and fetch her.

My phone buzzed. It was Rosa.

"Yes, Ro-"

"Leyla is gone," she whispered. "He killed ten of our guards."

I forced myself to keep my face void of any emotion. "Who?"

"I-I don't know. He looked young."

Fucking Testa.

. . .