.12. The better Campbell

"I believe in poems as I do haunted houses. We say, someone must have died here."

- Rosa Alcalá
. . .

Tw - mention of abuse. Possible ED trigger.

Leyla

I sighed

I sighed. I was bored. I did not have the guts to go out of my room. I had a few books with me - but I'd read all of them.

I rubbed my sore eyes, looking at the blank wall. Why could there not be a window there? I could have looked out, try to figure out which trees were there, and perhaps tried to determine the time by looking at the sun because there was not even a clock in the room. They could have at least added a freaking clock.

I guess it was lunchtime when a small knock came on the door. "Lunch." It was a woman's voice.

I sighed. I didn't want to go.

I got under the covers. I was too tired after all the crying.

I fell asleep in minutes.

. . .

I felt myself being shaken awake. Giovanni's angry eyes looked down on me, his jaw set.

"Isn't there a fucking rule about food, Leyla?"

I slowly sat up. Fabiano was leaning against the door frame, watching me with stern eyes.

Giovanni ripped my jaw, I whimpered at the harsh touch. "Go down to the kitchen and eat."

I nodded rapidly, clutching my shaking hands together. I did not understand their obsession with me eating - but now they were at least being cruel to me, making me understand my position better. I just have to do what they say and I'd be safe.

I got out of bed. After breakfast, I had showered and dressed in a pink dress - a dress which Gabby gifted me a few months ago, claiming that I made pink look good.

I realized my mistake as soon as their eyes fell on my body

I realized my mistake as soon as their eyes fell on my body. I had worn it because it made me feel closer to Gabriella. Now, I wished I hadn't.

Their eyes were hungry, lust clear on their faces as they took in my exposed legs, eyes lingering on my thighs.

I waited, holding my breath.

"Go," Fabiano's voice came out raspy. "Go eat."

Their needs were probably being fulfilled by the other two women. I wondered if they had bought them, too. Maybe I was another woman in their harem.

I passed by Fabiano whose eyes lingered on mine. I knew they must have seen that my eyes were redder than the morning - which meant I had cried again. He didn't say anything.

I ate lunch in silence and again, it was too much that my stomach ached.

I put a hand on my stomach, which felt too stretched, as the maid picked up the plate.

I was going to be sick.

I rushed back to my room, where Giovanni and Fabiano still were, and then into the bathroom.

I emptied my stomach there, relieved when the stretching went away but now my throat hurt. I coughed, tears spilling out of my eyes.

"What the fuck?" Fabiano picked me up, sitting me down at the counter as I coughed more.

"What's wrong?" Giovanni asked as I got off the counter.

I shook my head. "Ate too much." I rinsed my mouth.

"Why would you eat so much that you get sick?" He muttered.

Tears stung in my eyes. "You said to eat everything!"

I froze. I had yelled at him. I looked down at the black counter, holding my breath again. I could almost feel the phantom slap on my face, and then a few more brutal touches which would leave me battered and bruised.

I felt a gentle hand on my back and flinched so bad my hip bone painfully collided with the counter. I whimpered in pain. Damn it.

Fabiano gently turned me around, his fingers rubbing the ache away. I kept looking down, too scared to speak.

"You don't have to eat more than you can," he said. "We are sorry, Principessa. We should have known you can't eat as much as us."

"I'm sorry," Giovanni muttered, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I nodded, too stunned to speak. They were apologising.

Another trick, a part of me said. Making me trust them so that they can break it while breaking me.

That sounded more likely.

"The rest of your stuff arrived," Fabiano said, his fingers still rubbing my hip bone. "I'll get two bookshelves in the room for your books. You need help setting them up?"

I shook my head automatically, a little flushed by his touch.

They nodded and walked out.

The bookshelves, looking to be brand new, arrived with all of my stuff in cardboard. The men left wordlessly.

I rummaged through the books till I found my favourite one.

A History of Magic, Witchcraft and the Occult.

I had forgotten to pack it.

I opened the book eagerly and my eyes widened at what was inside.

It was a burner phone and on it was attached a note.

So fucking sorry for cutting the book but I got you this phone just in case they don't let you have one. You can keep it in this and I doubt they'd look through this book. This was all I could get because our beautiful father took away my card - again.

Call me when you are sure no one is hearing.

After all, even walls have ears.

- the better Campbell

Tears sting in my eyes.

My crazy sister...I loved her so much.

. . .

I like Gabby.