.88. Monsters

I kiss you-across hundreds of separating years.

- Marina Tsvetaeva
. . .

Giovanni Valentino

I ran inside the penthouse. "LEYLA!"

Others followed me. I ran upstairs, fear almost overwhelming me as I ran into the bedroom. The bathroom door was ajar.

There was no one inside. Only a phone that further confirmed that Elena had taken her. I had seen the footage while Fabiano drove the car.

And I had heard the words. Loud and clear.

Brothers.

Someone had taken Rosa from the mansion.

I walked out of the room. "Check every camera," I muttered to Luca. "See what car she was put in."

Luca's head bowed. "I... there's no footage, Gio. Erased."

I eliminated the fury which rose. Find her. Burn the world later.

Tears burnt. I kept them at bay.

Fabiano looked at me. Dante was fuck knew where. Xerxes and Ashton were downstairs.

"Call Testa," he said.

I did.

"Giovanni. I sent your sister to you. Pity you didn't realize it."

Burn the world later.

"Where are Leyla and Rosa, Cassian?"

A pause, filled with mockery. "Your sister is vengeful. She was going to kill all the Valentinos, you know? You reduced her work. Only you three are left."

My sister.

I took in a deep breath.

Burn the world later.

"She can have us," I said. "Let the women go."

A pause and then a soft voice spoke, rolling with an Italian accent. "Brother," she said. I froze. "There will be no fun in revenge if I just exchange, no?" She chuckled. All I heard was my mother. My sadistic, terrible, terrifying mother. "Meet me tomorrow."

"Where?"

"You'll see. It's a place in New York. Stay in the city, brother."

She hung up.

. . .

The Creed mansion was quiet - it was never quiet.

Gabriella refused to speak - to utter a single word. Me, with my brothers, ripped the city apart the whole night and day, trying to find one sign of them but coming up with nothing.

I didn't let fear take root even though my mind threatened to break.

This could not be how I lose her. Leyla - who had been through things I wouldn't wish upon anyone - didn't deserve this.

I didn't let myself dwell on the fact that it was my sister who had done it. I could almost hear my grandmother's voice in my head.

Your mom bought a curse into this family, Giovanni.

The woman had been years old with shaking hands and bowed back. I had not believed her till our mother started hurting me.

The pain was an enemy and then eventually it became a friend - the only thing which kept my mind quiet.

Till her.

I looked down at my phone, resisting the urge to throw it against a wall, potentially ruin one of the million paintings on the wall. Elena had not called.

I couldn't call her Carla. Carla had been my sister. Elena was something else. She was my mother's return - here to finally complete what the woman had stated but she'd kill Dante, too.

Every Valentino.

I'd lay my life down for Leyla. There was no question in that. Creeds would protect her for the rest of her life. She'd be happy. She'd be safe. She'd be free of me.

She'd be free of all of her monsters.

. . .

Leyla Campbell

The darkness of wherever I was didn't let one thing show. My hands were tied with rough ropes as were my ankles.

After feeling the room just a little, I could tell it was tiny with a wood door and no window.

I took deep breaths - something I used to do before my father sent someone into my room. I took deep breaths - keeping myself from panicking.

Their sister...

No.

I took in a deep breath, trying to hold it, and just then a hand grabbed my knee. I screamed - louder than I ever had.

A voice chuckled.

Ryder.

Cassian Testa.

"You've always been so jumpy."

My throat closed up, and panic finally seeped into me. My hands trembled. I was suddenly hyper-aware that I was just in a shirt and my underwear.

He shifted closer. I tried to breathe. His familiar scent washed over me - bringing me memories than had never been true. Not for him.

"I loved you," he said. "And you were so quick to open your legs for them."

"Let me go." My voice trembled. "Let me go." Now it had hardened.

He chuckled again. "Such demands, little Leyla. I've just got you - why would I let you go?"

"Elena...Carla-"

"She'll kill you," he said easily. "And she'll kill your men, their brother and Rosa." He cupped my face. I flinched away. He gripped it. "I will have my fun with you," he said and fear gripped me so tightly it choked me. "And then she can play."

"What is she to you?"

"She's my capo," he said. "She'll rule the Valentino Mafia, and I'll be her enforcer."

He sounded delighted. He let go of me and stood, opening the door with a key. Light flooded inside, blinding me, but it was gone before I could even look.

I heard a key turn - a lock set into place. Only when his footsteps faded did I let tears tumble out of my eyes.

The ropes were too tight. I couldn't get out. Even if I did I wouldn't be able to open the door. And even if I did Testa was out there.

I was here, waiting for someone to rescue me.

For them to recuse me - as they once had from my father.

There were too many monsters in the world.

But they were mine.

I sobbed.

My monsters.

. . .