.93. Pay

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

- René Descartes
. . .

Fabiano Valentino

"Okay," she said. "Today we are going to learn about Egyptian mythology-"

Giovanni smirked, leaning back in his chair. The sunroom was bright today - the sky completely cleared out.

I leaned forward, pulling my elbows on my knees. "Yeah?"

Her eyes danced between Gio and me. "STOP looking at me like that - how many times do I have to tell you that?"

"Just a few more," Giovanni muttered. "Resume the lesson, Piccolina."

She sighed, closing the book. She was sitting across from us, a glass table between us. "You both are like the...worst students ever."

"Well," I said. "I don't really remember school."

Her eyes softened. "Oh..."

Giovanni cracked a smile. "Don't get all awkward on us now, Leyla. We have you now so I guess it all worked out fine, no?"

"We..." She drummed her fingers on the table. "I think we would have crossed paths even if everything which has happened to us never happened." She looked at us, face lit up with sunlight, eyes sparkling in a way that made my breath hitch. "Our...demons should not be credited for this. Anything but this."

I smiled. "Your words, Principessa..."

"I have a way with them..." Her eyes lowered to her hands. "That's what Ryder...Testa said."

"He is...or was in love with you," Giovanni said, jaw clenching.

We had talked to him. He was currently in hiding - with the whole Camorra out to get him.

Only one way would Camorra stop. Luca looked like he was going to get sick when that way was mentioned.

Leyla sighed. "All this time I thought he was the bad guy."

"He's young," I said. "And alone in the world with no actual power but he defended you." When we could not. That was left unsaid.

"He killed Miss Summers."

"On Carla's orders, apparently," muttered Giovanni. "Do we need to talk about this now?"

"If not now, when?" She asked.

"Soon," he said.

"I want a time and date with your signature, Gio."

"Someone's tongue is getting sharp." He raised a threatening brow.

She narrowed her eyes. "I am sore."

"Believe me," he grinned. "I know."

She shook her head, muttering something which sounded like 'insufferable Italian'.

Her tongue had indeed gotten sharper - her voice louder - her smiles brighter.

She opened her mouth and then closed it.

"Say it, Leyla," I said. I knew what she'd ask.

"Creeds..." She breathed. "Do you really not want to talk to them anymore?

"Dante is our brother," Giovanni said. "After not telling him about Angelo - the trust we have already had weakened. We cannot risk interaction when the Creeds and no way in hell do they want to talk to us."

"But you guys are like...brothers."

"Like brothers," I said. "But not brothers. No matter how hard you try, in the mafia blood always comes first."

. . .

Leyla Campbell

The flowers on the grave were fresh - beautiful roses kept there by someone I didn't even need to guess.

I kept my roses down beside Dante's, holding the umbrella over my head. The rain was heavy today. Giovanni and Fabiano waited for me in the car. I had asked for privacy.

My mother had been cremated - so I never really had a place I could 'visit' her but Rosa was buried here.

I didn't know what was worse. I didn't care for it. All that mattered was that they were gone.

"You know..." I whispered. "I had a whole speech for your funeral but I couldn't bring myself to say a word. I felt like I wasn't worthy - because I didn't know you that much."

I looked up at the sky, words spilling out like wine. "I was young when the first man touched me. It hurt but I went through it - because I had to. There was this...painting on the wall, of some woman - gifted to me by someone I can't even remember. Whenever there was a man in my room - hurting me - I would look at it and I felt like I had someone - someone who was somehow going through the same things and...you were."

I took in a shaky breath. "You were going through it all and more and you still held so much...good inside of it. Now when I think of that painting I can't see that woman, I see you. You were the truest, kindest, person I have ever met." I closed my eyes. Don't cry. "This world was too cruel to you and I promise you, Rosa, that I will try to make it better for people like us. Kindness will be your legacy."

I kissed my two fingers and pressed them against her gravestone. "I have never believed in the after like," I said. "It seemed too ridiculous. But I hope whenever you are, you have a kitchen where you can cook everything you love to cook, that you have love, and that you have peace."

I stepped back. "Those who have hurt you," I said. "They will pay. Every man will pay."

. . .

I've had this whole speech written down for ages and I was like 'ePiLoGuE is next' no it's not.

Don't mind me I'm just sleep-deprived.