.99. I was good?

Let's whisper our agonies till we can scream them.

. . .

Five years later

Leyla Campbell

Florence was beautiful tonight. It was the holiday season, so the streets were packed. I put my elbows on the sill of the window, waving at Mrs Mancini who lived across the street. She waved back.

"How are you today, Leyla?" She asked in Italian, a kind smile on her wrinkled face and body covered with a floral dress.

I smiled. "Good, Mrs Mancini. How are you doing?"

She told me about her day, grumbling about her son's boyfriend who she didn't like because he was undeserving of her son. Soon, she left for her restaurant down the street.

I sighed, closing my eyes, feeling at peace.

I heard the door open.

I turned.

"You're up early," said Fabiano, putting his hands in the pockets of his shorts. He must have gone for a run and then came straight here.

"Yes," I said. "Couldn't sleep much."

He hummed, looking around the apartment. It was a normal apartment with faded brownish walls, wooden furniture and a giant TV and bookshelf. 

"How long as we staying here?" He asked, walking to the open kitchen. He shuffled through the fridge.

"A week or so," I said. "I think this is a good getaway without, you know, getting away."

He chuckled, grabbing a bottle of cold water. "I agree, Leyla. This is quite nice."  He looked around. "Perhaps a few...changes?" He looked at a wooden, worn-down table with barely concealed disgust.

The furniture had come with the apartment.

"Then it'll be just like the mansion. This is really pretty. How about we give it a try for a few days and if we hate it, we can sell it?"

"Or give it to your sister," he suggested. "She'd like this."

I folded my arms against my chest. "You're not getting rid of her that easily, Fabiano."

"Made it too obvious, didn't I?" He smirked. "I need to shower, Principessa. Would you like to join?" He asked very politely as if he wasn't going to screw my brains out the second I stepped into the shower.

"Yes," I muttered. Only an idiot would say no to showering with Fabiano Valentino.

"Close the window," he said. Always careful.

I closed the window, locking it. He walled to the washroom, taking his clothes off and leaving the door open for me.

I entered just when he had stripped down. I admired him, just for a bit. How he was so beautiful...I didn't know. There was no one flaw - not one thing I could point out and say I didn't like.

I took my dress off and then my panties and bra. I had already taken a shower but I was not going to say no to him.

He tugged me into the shower, turning it off with a flick of his finger. The warm water of perfect temperature fell on us as I looped my arms around his neck.

"Where is Giovanni?"

"Dealing with Luca."

My mood dampened. Luca had recently taken the Testa and his brothers under his wing. It was causing problems in Camorra.

I nodded, rubbing my thumb on his jaw. He watched me, waiting...

And then he pounced.

He turned me around, thrusting me up against a wall. He spread my legs and pushed on my shoulder, making me lean down.