.78. Badman

"The Thief left it behind; the moon at my window."

- Ryokan

. . .

Giovanni

I sat down on the chair, taking a deep breath. The party was still going crazy outside. These people sure knew how to celebrate.

I took a sip of my whiskey, looking around the room I had. I usually stayed in this room whenever I visited - which used to be a lot. The room was dark, as it has always been. There were a few abstract paintings on the wall which had not been there before. One glance at the signature in the corner and I knew Olivia had made them.

I took another sip of my drink. The music from downstairs was faint here. I wasn't fond of crowds but this one had been a delight to watch.

And eat with. Zavier had made some stuff which had people licking their fingers but these people had bought sweets which I knew I was going to eat a lot of the second they were gone.

I grabbed the tub of ice cream from the nightstand, removing the lid. I dug the spoon into the mint ice cream.

Just then there was a knock on my open door.

I looked at Astrid. She blinked at me.

"Olivia said not to let you eat ice cream."

"Would a hundred dollars make you temporarily blind?"

A pause. "Two hundred might work."

I smirked, reaching for my wallet. I took the money out. She walked inside and took it from me, putting it in a small fancy bag she had. She looked at the ice cream and made a face.

"Mint is bad."

"You have no taste."

"Or your taste buds are dead." She folded her arms against her chest. One of Olivia's cats entered the room, followed by her sisters. They jumped on the bed.

"Which one do you like?"

"Cookie dough."

"Isn't that basic?"

She gasped, offended. I chuckled.

"It's not basic!"

"Sure."

She huffed. "You're mean."

"Aren't you the one who said my taste buds are dead?"

"Well, I was just informing you."

"Thanks for informing me, Miss Campbell." I took a bite of the ice cream. "Anyone know you are here? I don't want Leyla to freak out."

"Livy knows, she'll tell Leyla."

She climbed on the bed, sitting beside me. She looked at my phone.

"Don't ask me-"

"Do you have games?" She grinned.

"No," I said. "I do not."

Hera curled on my lap, purring lowly.

"Then you're boring, too. Why does my sister love you then?"

"Leyla doesn't love me."

"Oh." She frowned. "She likes you?"

"I sure hope so." Why was I talking to a seven-year-old?

She hummed. "Do you love her?"

"Probably."

"That's not a good answer, Mr Valentino."

"Love is not something which comes naturally to me, Miss Campbell."

She shook her head with mock disappointment. "You're gonna lose her if you don't love her."

"I didn't say that I don't love her. I said that I probably do."

"Give me a percentage."

"Do you even know what that is?"

"I know everything. Tell me."

I took another bite. "Eighty per cent."

"That's good."

"You approve?"

"No. You eat mint."

"If I didn't eat mint, you'd approve?"

She made a thinking face. "Favourite Disney princess?"

"I don't watch Disney movies, kid."

"Okay. I approve. I hate them."

I chuckled. "Why?"

"I don't know," she muttered. "I don't like love."

"But you want me to love Leyla."

"She deserves it. She's nice but...don't take her away from me." She fiddled with her clothes. "She's awesome. She gets sad when she's away from me and Gabby."

"I know."

"You still took her away."

"Who told you that?"

"I am seven, not stupid." She huffed. "You and your brother came and when you left, Leyla was gone and everyone was weird about it."

I hummed. "I was keeping her safe."

"From who?"

"Badman."

"Is the badman gone?"

"He will be gone soon."

She got off the bed, landing swiftly on the ground. "We should return to the party."

"You go. I will be right there."

She nodded and left, followed by two of Olivia's cats.

I ate the ice cream. For a seven-year-old, she was terribly smart. It ran in the blood, it seemed.

Olivia entered the room. "I will end you."

Astrid peeked inside the room and gave me a grin. "Thanks for the money!"

That little shit.

. . .