5. 3 A Smile

FYI, Satou called 'Kei-chan' since Y2V4.5

Satou POV

This before the accident at cafetaria.

It was an unexpected.

At first because Kei was crying, we decided to cheer her up. Kei just cried without saying anything.

I don't know what the others are thinking. But I personally felt my heart ached because of her crying. I couldn't bear to see the figure of Kei crying helplessly like that.

"Ka—karuizawa-san. Hiks… hiks… I'm sorry I didn't know all your suffering. Please forgive me," Mori also cried beside her.

I don't know why, but my eyes are getting hot too, "You've been through a lot."

My tears fell unconsciously. Then the memory of the violence and bullying that Kei went through flashed through my head.

Ever since her case of bullying went viral, I admit I've been secretly looking at all those posts.

After seeing it all, I realized how much pain Kei had endured without our knowledge.

"W—we won't let that cruel thing happen to you again! Whatever it is! No one in Class 2-C should be bullied!" a boy shouted loudly. His eyes glazed over. But he struggled not to cry too.

"You're right. Don't worry, we will protect you. We will protect you Karuizawa," Sudou and Ike who usually hated Kei also joined in. Their words were very sincere now.

"You can count on us. We'll support you." Hasebe also approached, beside her Sakura also slowly approached Kei.

"Tha—that's right. It's because we're friends."

Kei looked at us. The look in her eyes broke my heart. I immediately hugged Kei.

"We will always support, protect you, we will not let a single bad person hurt you again."

"That's right. All the bastards who hurt you will feel their retribution. Including Ayanokouji who dared to cheat on you," Ike said in an angry tone.

"Eh? Kiyopon cheating? What does that mean?" Hasebe immediately interrupted the boy's anger.

"You haven't heard of him, have you? He's having an affair with Ichinose from class 2-B. A third years who states that fact."

Not only Hasebe, Sakura also looked surprised, "Impossible."

"You may not believe it, but try to remember. Didn't we ever really get to know Ayanokouji? Not only was he the one who suddenly scored a hundred, he was also hiding his relationship with Karuizawa," Miyamoto cornered Ayanokouji.

I'm confused at this drastically changed situation.

"Hey, don't make any accusations. What do you know about their relationship?" I immediately commented on Miyamoto.

"I don't want to talk about the relationship between the two of them, but Ayanokouji already deceived us once about his true abilities. That's enough to make him a traitor," Ike said.

"No!" Kei answered.

Everyone was taken aback, Kei who had been crying silently all this time suddenly spoke.

"You're wrong. Kiyotaka has never betrayed you. Not once."

I removed my arm from her. The boys who had previously insulted Ayanokouji softened their voices at seeing Kei's tears still flowing.

"It—it's not like that. We didn't mean any harm by calling her a traitor. But I don't think Ayanokouji deserves to be with you, Karuizawa-san. He is already had an affair with Ichinose, he has also hidden his abilities from all of us."

"No, you guys misunderstood," Karuizawa still defended Ayanokouji.

"Why do you keep defending him, Karuizawa-san?" Matsushita asked cautiously.

Kei didn't answer our question right away. But she looked at us one by one with an indescribable expression.

"Are you sure you really don't know Kiyotaka all this time?"

Huh? I don't understand the question.

"You guys actually probably know Kiyotaka is secretly contributing in the class. But why are you closing your eyes like it didn't happen?"

I… I really don't understand right now.

"Kei-chan, I don't understand what you're saying now," I said while holding her shoulder.

"No, it's not that you don't understand. But you really don't want to do it," Kei answered firmly.

"Yukimura-kun, weren't you the one who vehemently denied Kiyotaka when he got a perfect score?"

Yukimura was surprised when his name was called.

"You can't blame me, I said that because I was suspicious of him. If he's been hiding his abilities all this time it means he's been neglecting his contribution to the class."

Kei raised her eyebrows. This time the tears had completely disappeared.

"Just because you don't know his contribution doesn't mean he didn't contribute. Why are you people who don't know anything about Kiyotaka being the ones who are the loudest against him?"

"Ayanokouji contributed to the class?" Matsushita asked with a surprised face.

Kei turned to her, "I think Kiyotaka's tacit contribution is better than someone who doesn't want to do it at all."

For some reason Matsushita's shoulders shook. Her expression changed due to Kei's sharp gaze.

"Sorry to interrupt, but what evidence do you have? Right now you just sound like someone defending him without any evidence," Miyamoto replied.

"Without proof?" Kei laughed blandly.

"Hey, Horikita-san. How long are you going to be quiet?" Karuizawa mentioned Horikita's name, we were all confused and immediately looked at Horikita.

"You're also aware Kiyotaka has helped you a lot all this time. No, it's actually Kiyotaka who saved the class every time again but he's  intentionally use your name behalf."

"You are right," Horikita didn't deny at all.

We were surprised, even Hirata who usually believed so much that Horikita was the one behind all the class plans and strategies become unable to say anything.

"You heard right?" Kei looked at us again.

But that doesn't mean everyone just takes it for granted.

"You still haven't provided physical evidence. That statement doesn't make any sense at all."

This time Kei's face became somber, "You don't believe me?"

Instantly no one could answer anymore, everyone fell silent. They were reminded again of Kei's crying face. They remembered the violence and bullying Kei had experienced.

For some reason, Kei's sad face made her classmates no longer able to oppose her.

"If you believe in me, you must believe in Kiyotaka. Because I believe in him."

Kei's words shook our hearts, I hugged her again, leaning her head on my shoulder. I hope she just forgets our argument earlier. I don't want her to get hurt. I don't want to hurt Kei's heart anymore.

"Okay, we trust you."

The voices filled our surroundings. I also said that in my heart too. But there was something confused me a little, even though it was hidden behind my shoulder, I could tell Kei was smiling.

Why is she smiling?

14-10-2021