3. 1 Blackmailing

Timeline: before competition

Hikigaya Hachiman's POV

I knew he wasn't a good guy the moment I saw him. He was evil, but I still asked for his help without thinking about how cruel he could be. I had no idea what I would have to do as a form of payment.

He has no mercy.

He didn't believe me at all because he has strict beliefs.

His doubts cause him to be extremely cautious of his surroundings.

"Did you know why I called you here right now?"

His voice sounds tremendous horrible to me. I didn't dare to look him in the eyes.

"I have no idea."

I don't know why my voice is shaking, however I can't stop myself trembling in front of him. It was pathetic side of mine. How could I get so nervous around this ordinary guy?

Wait, is he really just an ordinary student tho?

He stood there, his hands in his pockets. He appeared to be both real and unreal at the same time. It's almost as if he doesn't belong here at all. I mean, he shouldn't be here at all. In this place, he's standing in front of me, his cold eyes piercing me.

I am afraid.

"I am a realist."

Out of the blue, he was spitting that fact.

I narrowed my eyes, "And what's that means?"

"Essentially, realist is someone who believes in realism. It's a theory about power and security. Every human being relentlessly seek power and security because they exist in a self-help system. They seek security, they seek prestige, and most of all, as a realist I would say I seek autonomy."

"Hey, Ayanokouji. I don't understand what are you talking about. Could you just spare me right now? I need to meet my friends, we have a meeting."

"I will, but you must answer my question first."

I find it is difficult to fight Ayanokouji's words back. So I just nodded my head and waited his question.

"Have you ever heard the phrase Today's friend could be tomorrow's enemy?"

"Yes, I have."

"Would you then betray me in the future?"

I knew this was going to sound ridiculous. However, I am well aware that I will not blindly obligate him. I mean, if I'm in a difficult situation, I'll choose myself over everything else.

Nonetheless, Ayanokouji displays a dissatisfied expression on his face. I could see it now: he despised me and had already labelled me a traitor.

"I know I made a promise to you, and I will help you. But I hope you can understand my situation as well. I can't do whatever you want without worrying the opinions of the other Sobu students. I am your ally and your adversary at the same time."

I'm not going to deceive him with a sweet promise. I simply tell him the truth about how I could turn my back on him.

"Your answer, that was expected."

He didn't lose his cool at all; instead, he demonstrated his calmness.

"What exactly do you mean, Ayanokouji?"

"In this world, I don't think I can ever trust anyone. I don't want to be interdependent. I'm sceptical of interdependence because who wants to be mutually dependent in such a dangerous world?"