2. 5 The Only One Who Survived

Timeline: before the competition

Sudou Ken's POV

To be honest, I was perplexed when I noticed Ayanokouji's transformation. For a few weeks, he had already established himself as an important person of our class, the most valuable existence that could not be replaced by anyone else. It's a little surprising because he was just an ordinary student in this class, a gloomy and plain guy who never spoke too much. He keeps his thoughts to himself and does not share them with us. His complicated way of thinking just stayed in his big brain, and we had no idea he had a brilliant idea all along.

He resembles someone I don't recognise, but he is still the same as he was before.

However, it's just my jumbled emotions. I just can't say it out loud. His changing, his true personality, the fact that he was deceiving us while being burdened by me and the others. It makes me realise how untrustworthy I was until Ayanokouji never told me anything about this.

I can't believe Karuizawa contributed more than anyone else in this class. I assumed she was just an annoying girl with a strong personality. Did I become oblivious to my surroundings?

It's not Suzune but Ayanokouji who helped me in the past. Suzune recently informed me of this reality. It was shocking, but I could see it clearly. He hid behind Suzune's existence, perhaps because he thought it was troubleosme to tell me truth behind his help. to tell me the truth behind his assistance. He avoided that possibility by throwing it to Suzune.

I was about to enter my room when I noticed Ayanokouji standing in the narrow corridor. There is no light behind; it was dark, emberaced by a sliver of sunset light from outside. In silence, he bathed in bare sunlight. He just stared out the window at the field, his eyes gleaming but emphatic at the same time. I couldn't understand his point of view. I, on the other hand, refuse to be passive and ignore him. By his shoulder, I can tell he cares about our class. I believe I should assist him, no matter how difficult it is.

"Ayanokouji..."

I called him, and for the first time in a long time, I was able to do so. Like when he wasn't someone important in class. Just an ordinary student that I always talk to without cutious feelings around him.

He looked at me, and my gaze met his golden orbs, which reflected the sunset in his eyes. The way he looks at me suggests that things are complicated. But he had yet to say anything to explain his thoughts. I'm curious what he's thinking right now.

"Could you help me, Sudou?"

Finally he says something.

"Of course, what do you need me to do?"

Ayanokouji didn't say anything, just handed me a piece of paper. I hesitate for a moment, but I accept his request without further questioning.

"Thanks for your help."

After handing it he wanted to leave, but I had something important to tell him. Concerning a secret that has been bothering me for a few days since we arrived at this hotel. I can't do it by myself any longer. I should speak with him.

"There's something I need to tell you."

My voice was shaking.

But Ayanokoji didn't lose his composure at all. He remained the same as he had always been.

"What is it?"

***
Back to the current timeline

Kiyotaka POV

I'm not concerned about competition between us. Something else has been making me agitated since I arrived at this location. Essentially, I'm not interested in being a Saru. If it was the old me, I would have avoided this unnecessary attention. Sara should defend and stand tall to keep our pole safe, but my position prevents me from contributing to the battle. It was a loss because the points were awarded to the class that bringing down the opponent's pole.