The Battle of The Walkers

The lucid orange of a winter sunrise snuck through the branches on the large oak tree that Katherine stared at from the little hill on the Greene Farm. Carl was going to be okay, but Katherine felt a pang of guilt for Patricia, who had just lost her husband. Something about the sweet man's death didn't sit right with her. Shane returned with a deadman's gun, why? Unless Shane had attacked Otis and took his weapon, leaving him to the hungry reanimated corpses. Or maybe Katherine was looking to into it because of the distaste she had toward Shane.

Katherine began to have faith that maybe this place could be their new home, despite they tragic way everyone had met. But Katherine knew; faith is knowing that at some point, it's gonna be okay. She held tight onto faith, hoping and praying that these people calls her new family, will be okay.

"This seat taken?" Katherine looked up to see Rick, she smiles and pats the spot next to her. "What's got you up this early?" He asks. Katherine shrugs," Making a plan to look for Sophia. "She shrugs," Thinking."

"Thinking about what?" Rick presses, gazing out at the sunrise again.

What was she supposed to say? Hey, uh, I think Shane killed Otis.

"About the future. Will we still be on this farm? Or will we be elsewhere? " Katherine asks nobody in particular.

"I hope so," Rick's voice was soft and gentle. "We're as safe as can be here. " he smiles.

Katherine nods," I better start helping with breakfast, got Daryl some too. "She holds up the squirrel she ran across while walking the premiere.

<><><><>

"Wake up. "Katherine kicks Daryl's butt gently.

"Go 'way." Daryl grumbles. "Get up, Daryl. Breakfast is almost done and I got you some squirrel. "She huffs and kicks his boot.

Daryl let out a loud groan and reluctantly gets up. "You can skin it. "Katherine smirks and drops the squirrel by his feet.

"Surprised you even remember how to hunt, ain't you like a city girl now?" Daryl jokes. Katherine rolls her eyes and flicks his head. "What you and Merle taught
Me stuck, now shut up. "She scoffs and heads back to the group.

<><><><>

"Sophia could've been there. "Katherine nods in agreement with Daryl.

"They're right, if Daryl said he found some supplies at the farmhouse, could've been Sophia. "Rick states.

"Could've been anybody. "Shane shrugs.

"Anybody includes her, right?" Carol softly asks. "Of course, Carol, we're doing everything we can right now. "Katherine rubs her back comfortingly.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl motions with his hand.

"It's a good lead. "Rick looks to Shane. Katherine puts her hunting blade into her garter. "I'll head over this way, maybe circle back to the highway and see if she took any of the supplies. "Katherine points on the map.

"And if they herd is still there?" Andrea asks.

"I'm quiet and quick. I'll be over and out before any of those bastards notice. "Katherine shrugs, pushing her hair from her face. 

"If you're not back in 2 hours, we'll come and look. " Rick looks down to Katherine.  "Okay. "She nods.

"You going on foot?" Jimmy asks, Katherine nods and starts to walk away before Hershel speaks up.

"Take a horse. "Hershel offers, motioning toward the barn.

"I appreciate it. Thank you. "Katherine smiles.

<><><><>

"Woah, easy there. "Katherine coos to the horse as it slows down just beside the railing's by the highway. She climbs down and ties the rope to the tree, securing the horse. She pulls out her hunting blades and quietly peers over the railing, making sure there were no walkers. Maybe it was pure luck, but thankfully there were none.

When she noticed there weren't any in sight, she jumped over and walked to the car where the group had left some supplies for Sophia. Her stomach drops when she notices the untouched stash.

"Dammit. "She mutters , that didn't mean she wasn't out there, it just meant she wasn't here . She walks around a bit more, looking for more supplies. She found some pain killers, a lighter and a candle. It wasn't much but it would have to do. She left the food still on the drunk for Sophia. Kat heard the horse start to get uneasy and make a fuss. Katherine looked in it's direction to see a walker snarling at it, making it's way toward the horse.

"Shit. "She hisses quiet and lifts up her blade, she launched it forward into the walkers head. "Still got it. "She smiles proudly at herself for remembering how to throw blades properly. Katherine pauses when she hears another growl, she wipes the back of her hand on her forehead and sighs, looking to her right to see two more walkers. 

"Awe, come on. "Katherine huffs tiredly, sleep wasn't great last night and now she's left battling walkers? If she had known this would've been her future, she would've slept more instead of staying up half of the night watching reruns Friends.

"I'm gonna take you," she points to the female walker, who looks like her cause of death was a broken neck. "Then you." She points to a walker dressed in a cop uniform. Katherine kicks the cop onto his back and charges at the female. The Walker growled with blood pooling from its mouth and lunged at Katherine, lifting up her hunting knife, she stabs the walker in the eye. She retracts her arm and watches as the blood splattered out onto her top as the body went limp.

"Now y- balls!" Katherine gasps as the cop grabs her leg, getting ready to bite the back of her leg, she quickly turns and stomps her foot repeatedly onto it's head. When the walker stopped moving Katherine hunched over and catches her breath, "Let's go. " she says lowly to the horse, and walks over to it, pulling herself up.

At the end of the day, Katherine was alive, and that's all she needed. It wasn't easy for her to get to this point, being the stronger version of herself. Sure, the day she left home was the day she became independent and strong, but in a world like this, she had to be stronger. She had to work hard at survival and be real. Trust nobody. What really mattered to Katherine was that Daryl was okay, her people was okay and she was okay. The hooves of the horse created music to Katherine's ears as they travelled through the forest together.

<><><><>

Maggie held the horses lead as Katherine jumps down and pats it's side. "Anything?" Maggie asks, taking the horses gear off her.

"Nothing. "Katherine looks at her feet.

"There's still hope. "Maggie smiles reassuringly, touching Katherine's arm. Katherine smiles and nods," That there is. Have you seen Daryl?" Maggie points to the woods," He's gone out covering more ground. Carol appreciates you two and everything you're doing for her girl. "Maggie tells Katherine.

"I know. I can't imagine what she's going through. "Katherine blocks her eyes from the sun.

"The hell happened to you?" T-Dog points to the blood on Katherine's hands and shoe. Katherine follows his gaze," Oh, A battle with walkers. "She giggles and walks to the house to ask to clean her hands.

After she cleans off, Patricia stopped her. "Dinner will be ready soon. "She smiles sweetly as she folds some towels. "If you need a new shirt, you can borrow one of mine. I'll clean that one up for you, hunny. "Katherine appreciated her kindness, Patricia had a soft voice and accent, making Katherine feel safe. "Thank you, Patricia. "Katherine grins.

She walks out to the porch after she changes her shirt and begins to clean and sharpen her blade whilst she waited for dinner.

<><><><>

UNEDITED

This chapter is a bit short compared to my others. It's more of a filler chapter. Please bare with me. Season 2 wasn't my favourite season, that's not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I feel like the show becomes more action packed in season 3.