Guts

Katherine

My heart pounded in my chest and my feet began to hurt as I continued to run away from the dead. No matter how many times I have shopped in this city every single lane continues to look the same. I frantically look around, now desperate to find an open alley.

A gunshot was heard and I sprinted in it's direction, there was a officer sprinting toward an Asian Man who beckoned him toward a alley way. My feet became faster as I too ran with them.

'' Woah! Woah! Woah! Don't shoot! Not dead!'' Yelped the Asian Man in panic.

The officer lowered his weapon as we ran into the alley way, ''Holy shit!'' I mumble as we ran to a fire escape ladder.

Oh no, oh no. I hate heights.

The dead became closer as they growled in hunger. The Asian man began climbing, before turning to the cop and I, '' What are you doing? Come on!''.

One of the dead gripped onto the cop. I lifted my blade and plunged it into it's skull. The Walkers body fell to the ground, now officially dead.

The cop and I hurriedly climbed the ladder, briefly stopped on a utility platform. Our breathes were heavy as we gazed down at the dead, one of the poor bastards was getting squashed against the ladder which was pushing him higher. He began to weakly try pull himself up.

'' Nice moves there, Clint Eastwood. You the new Sheriff come riding in to clean up the town? '' The Asian man asked.

The cop shrugged, '' It wasn't my intention.''.

Both the Asian guy and I roll our eyes, '' Yeesh, Officer Friendly. Great job! '' I snarl. Both heads snap my way, '' Who are you?'' Officer asks.

'' The girl who just saved your ass, you're welcome.''

'' Thank you, both of you. I'm Rick Grimes.'' The Officer, Rick said.

''Glenn, you're welcome.'' Glenn said and shook Rick's outstretched hand.

Both their heads looked my way, '' Oh.'' I smile,'' The names Katherine."

They both nodded and looked up at the rest of the climb. It went up several flights, no stops.

Big J, please don't make me climb this.

Glenn squinted before looking at my widened eyes, ''You scared?'' he joked.

''Pfft no, what type of a pussy can't even climb a few flights.'' I scoff, but inside I truly was terrified.

'' The bright side:  It'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy. '' Glenn smiles before proceeding to climb.

I let out a shaky breath before gripping onto the bars. I take one more glance at the groaning dead before I pull myself up the ladder.

Once we reach the top, we walked across a bridge that connected to another building, the one Glenn led us to.

'' Are you the one that barricaded that alley?'' Rick asked.

Glenn shook his head,'' No. Somebody did.'' he opens the door that led downwards, "They're probably dead now," his face drops.

''Poor bastards probably thought not many infected would get through.'' I snicker.

Both men look at me, before Glenn asked, '' Are you always this heartless?"

'' Depends, is there a reason to have a heart?'' I raise my brow.

Glenn bent down again and threw the bag he had down, ''Ladies first,'' he beckoned to the door.