The Key to a Better Life

Katherine

"Who is this? Over. "A man responds.

"Put Negan on now," she demands. There was a pause and a static silence. "Kitty Kat? Is that you?" The cocky voice of Negan comes through the other end. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Carl's dead. "

Negan was almost caught off guard by the coldness and bitterness of Katherine's voice. He pauses and runs his leather covered hand over his face. He felt his heart drop, he never knew the love of a kid, but part of him looked at Carl like his own kid. He admired Carl. "One of Carl's last wishes was for this war to b- be over and for me to not kill you. "Katherine clears her throat. She felt it tighten, clenching and unclenching, wanting so badly to let out a sob. "I know you owe me nothing, I know you owe Carl nothing, but Carl believed you would do the right thing, and so through him I hope you can have the decency to respect his wish-"

"I'm sorry about the kid, I am, but if you think by any chance this will warm up my heart, you're stupid. You listen here-"

"No!" Katherine almost shouts. "You listen here, you sick little shit, I've known Carl since he was a kid and he never once believed people were bad, he believed people had reason, not like me, I had no hope but he changed my view. So if you and Rick are done playing whose dick is bigger, you'll consider it. "Katherine's blue eyes flooded with tears. "I'm not asking for Rick, I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for Carl. "

"You people took a lot more from me than I ever did from you. "

"I had so many chances to stick a bullet in your head and I never did because of Carl. You killed my best friend. Glenn was a good person, he never harmed a soul, he was so excited about his baby. Glenn was beautiful. Abraham too and you were intimidated by them, but the difference between them and I is I've grown up fighting bullies like you and I've killed them. "Katherine throws the walkie to the side and huddled into a hall into the ground. The cement was hot, almost like fire to her skin. Katherine felt like she had nothing else to live for anymore. She subconsciously knew she had people she lived for, but she's never felt more alive than she does now.

Katherine walks back to the horse shed where Enid sat alone. "Hey kid, you seen Rick?" Enid looks up from cleaning the horses hooves. "Gone out with a group I think. "She shrugs. Katherine felt worry in the pit of her stomach. She knew that he wasn't in the right place to be going out and seeking for revenge. Katherine grabs some things and walks toward the gate.

"Where you headin'?" She turns around to see Maggie strolling up to her with her arms crossed. "Hunting. These people are starving. "She gestured around her. "You okay to go out alone?"

"I'm sure. "Katherine sounded distant and cold. Not meaning to, of course, but Maggie understood. Although Katherine's eyes were crazed, Maggie opened the gate for her. "Don't be gone long, please?" Katherine nods and walks away.

<><><><>

Katherine found nothing more than 3 squirrels, but 3 was better than nothing. She pulls herself through the body infested woods, her boots leaving boot imprints on the mud and Katherine really didn't care. If someone was to follow her, she'd somehow be okay. The thunder above didn't even get a reaction from her, the lightening split the trees, rain washed away the dirt and grime, leaving trails down her face. It was maybe 5pm and still bright, so the bad weather didn't really freak her out how it usually would. She remembered laying on her rundown bed back when she lived with her dad after a beating, curled up in a ball, shaking in fear and praying to God to calm her dad down. Katherine pauses when a branch a few metres ahead snaps. She hides behind a fallen tree and peaks her head up.