Distance

Distance

Katherine

Katherine protectively pushes Carl behind her. The suspiciously clean male with short brown hair and a clean face made her feel weird. He was wearing bright pants, a blue jacket and a backpack. She walks over and roughly tugs the backpack off his back, he stumbles slightly and keeps his hands held while Daryl pats him down.

"You said he has a weapon?" Katherine doesn't take her eyes off him. Maggie hands her a flare gun, she examines it and hands it to Rick.
"A flare gun? Who are you trying to contact?" She tilts her head.

"I have a camp nearby. I'd like you to audition. "The man- Aaron, says.
"Audition? The hell do you think we are? A dance club?" She snorts.

"He says it has walls. "Sasha says.

"We do. Check the first pocket on my backpack. I have pictures. "Katherine looks him up and down. "Pictures? Are you- show me that-" she takes the photo from Rick.
The pictures were blurry, but showed what he was talking about: huge 15 foot steel walls with steel panels holding it up, the wall went on for miles. Katherine tuts and hands the photos to Claudia.
"Nothing I can do will make you people follow me back, you look like you've been out here a while and don't trust very easily. Nothing alive, or dead, can get through those walls without our say so. Together us people make the community what it is. We reunited in an unfortunate situation and came together as one to make a new world. A better world. You can be apart of that world. "
What Aaron was saying was too good to be true. "We have running water, food, ga-"

"The last 'Community' we had a run- in with tried to eat us," Katherine cuts him off. "Locked us in a train cart and planned to kill us. We got out and they're dead now. If what you're saying isn't what it is, and my family gets hurt, I'll come for your people-"

"Kat!" Claudia snaps, pulling her from Aaron's face. "Think about it....think about Carl and Judith. "

"I am thinking about them. "She hisses. "We haven't eaten in days, slept in days. We could use this. Think rationally. Please." Claudia begs.
Rick puts his hand on his hips and runs a hand over his face," Tie him up and dump his back. They're coming for us. We don't know when or how, but they are. "

"Rick, he was alone, we didn't see anybody with him. "Maggie says. "If he wanted us dead he'd have done it already. "

"Or he plans to pick us off one by one as we make a runner for it. "Katherine turns to her with a serious look. "We can't take anymore chances. "Maggie scoffs," I know that we don't have much reason to trust anybody, let alone this man, but we can't always hide and fight anytime somebody tries to help us. You were a strange man running onto my daddies farm with Carl in your arms and we took the chance of letting you in. "She says to Rick. "This could be a fresh start. "

"She's right. "Aaron says in the background. Katherine watches as Rick storms up and punches him hard in the jaw, he falls to the floor and groans in pain. "My partner asked you who you were tryna contact earlier, now I suggest you answer her now. "Rick grabs Aaron by the face.

"I-just one more person. "

"You're lying. "

"I'm not. No matter what I tell you 20, 50 ,200...you're not gonna believe me. "Aaron sighs in defeat. "I left you people bottles of water in the road to show you we mean well. " Katherine scoffs and kicks the dirt," No way is there just one of you out there. "Aaron looks to Maggie for help, and maybe Katherine was being irrational, but she knew after everything they've gone through, she had no reason to trust. She looks down to her torn jeans, she practically looked like a walker, dry blood matted into her hair, dry blood on her body. She needed a shower, what Aaron said about running water didn't seem too bad after all. But if they go with him, what will it cause?