Crossed

CROSSED

Katherine

Trees passed by in a blur, greens and browns mixing together until they were nothing, the car sped down the long, narrow road. Katherine kept her head against the cold window, glancing out to the nothingness ahead. Today was the day they'd get Beth back, they'd have everyone back together now, Maggie would be back with her sister and they could continue to find a forever home - however long that would last.
Excitement bubbles in her stomach for Maggie, she remembered the joy she felt after being reunited with her brothers, no feeling in the world could compare. She couldn't wait to see Beth either, Beth was one of those people that when she'd smile, it was like getting a warm hug that would comfort you. She was a lot like Hershel in that way, her kindness was no match to anyone in this world - those that were left, of course.

The orange leaves blew up and whirled around as the mini van flew by, bringing them closer to Beth. Daryl had picked it up after he was separated from Carol, but he didn't arrive home alone, he brought Beth's friend Noah with him. Noah was a tall, skinny, African- American boy, no older than 16. He had a sweet, kind face. Noah hurt his leg while trying to escape this prison Beth was being held in. He stated, 'Nobody escapes the hospital, no matter how hard they tried. Beth sacrificed herself so I could escape. I'm not going to leave her there.' And Katherine admired his bravery for such a young man.
Sasha was seated to the left on her, Tyreese to Sasha's left, Noah in the bath while Daryl was in the passenger as Rick drove.

"What do we know about these people?" Rick glances go Daryl briefly, then turns back to the road. Katherine perks up in curiosity," They got a lot of people, guns." Daryl goes into as much detail as he could.

"We got people too. Guns. "Katherine shrugs carelessly. "They took two of our people. We're gonna have to prepare for the worst of this place truly is what Noah claims it is."

"It is," Noah says from behind her.

"Then they've no idea what they've gotten themselves into. "Katherine sighs.

Rick scratches his beard," We're gonna have to reel them out. Use a distraction. "He looks in the rear view mirror. Katherine looks to Noah, then to Rick and shakes her head.
He can't be serious, Noah was just a kid.

"I'll do it. "Noah offers.

"No, no you'll get yourself killed. "Katherine shakes her head in disagreement.
"If it reunited Beth with her people, I don't see another option here. "Noah leans back. Katherine rolls her eyes and turns her body to face him," Nobodies dying today, Kid. Especially not you. I've seen too much death these past few days and I don't intend on extending that list. "Noah nods in understanding. Katherine turns back around and nervously chews her dirty nails. What she would do right now for a hot shower.

The car suddenly comes to a half just outside of Atlanta, memories flooded back to the day Katherine met her forever family, then sadness overcame her at the memories of the people they lost. She notices the same building she was scavenging the day she heard the gunshot and she wonders, would she have ever met this group if Rick didn't pull the trigger?

"This is as far as we go. We go on foot and scout the area out. "Rick pulls open his door and steps out.
Katherine follows, feeling the cool breeze hit her skin, she pushes her hair from her face," What's our plan of attack?" She asks walking over to a walker and taking it out.

"We fire into the air at sundown. Get two of them out on patrol. Once it's dark enough that the rooftop spotter won't see us, we go. " Rick tells everyone the plan, pointing to the exact building.

"We cut the locks to the stairway, take it to the fifth floor. "Katherine adds. "Daryl will take out the guard, I'll take Dawn. "

"How?" Sasha asks.