Love It If We Made It

Katherine

With the threat of the Saviors still booming, Katherine became even more anxious by the minute. It had been a few days since she murdered the crew that took them hostage, and Rick and Luke were down cleaning the weapons. Katherine spent time down by Abraham and Glenn's graves, cleaning them up a bit. She liked to tell them stories, even though she doesn't think they could hear her, she liked to believe they could.

"Hi." Maggie says quietly, sitting beside her. Katherine was so mixed up with herself that she forgot what Maggie was going through. "How are you?" Katherine asks, wiping a tear. "I'm okay. You?" Maggie responds, looking to Katherine. "I'm okay, too. "She smiles weakly. "I'm sorry, Maggie. I never once stopped to ask how you were. You lost your daddy and your sister, and then Glenn, and I just-"

"Hey, don't do that to yourself. "Maggie pushes Katherine's hair behind her ear. "Glenn was your best friend, he was your brother since the beginning. He told me everything from Atlanta to the Farm. "She smiles sadly. "You were each others person. "

"He was my person. "Katherine sniffles. "I know Glenn is watching over Carl for you and Rick. "Katherine let's out a soft sob. "I know Carl's giving him hell. "She laughs. Maggie felt herself for the first time since Glenn had died, laugh, truly laugh. Not the fake type of laughter you put on to seem happier than you were, the laughter that was real and genuine. Katherine thought that was nice, too, hearing Maggie laugh.

<><><><>

Days were becoming shorter and the night became longer, the sun hid behind the tree line, followed by the moon illuminating the dark and foggy forest. Katherine knew that Negan and his group were almost at the large field that spread off into the night. Rick had sent her there on lookout, believing that she'd be much more head on down here. She didn't quite understand what he meant by that but she went along with it anyways. Katherine didn't know what the day ahead would have in store for her, whether it would be her last morning or her last day on earth, she wanted it to happen knowing Negan was out of the picture. She had risked everything to get where she was. From the small little camp back in Atlanta to a huge community in Alexandria, she looks back and wonders if it was worth it - of course it was, she met so many remarkable people, but she didn't quite enjoy lowering their bodies into an open pit into the ground.

On the verge of giving up, Katherine spots Rick and company hiking up the hill to the open field. She smiles, relieved to see them all and emerges from the bush she hid behind.
"Please tell me it's over," she so badly wanted Rick to have ran into The Saviors and all of this would be over. He shook his head," A few of ours spotted a distracted a few miles back, but other than that we've had no luck. "Rick sounded disappointed.

"Oh," Katherine sighs. "We'll get 'em agai-" Katherine shut up immediately as whistles al around them caught her off guard. She felt shivers run down her spine. They were here and they outnumbered them all by hundreds.

"Well, damn, Rick, look at that. Pegged again. Pegged so very hard. I ambushed your ambush with an even bigger ambush."  Negan's voice calls out from a distance.

"Why don't you come out and face us!" Rick shouts. "Oh, I'm everywhere, Rick. "Katherine could almost hear the smirk on his face as even  more Saviors surround them.

"Yet you still stay hidden. "Katherine shouts out angrily.

"Kitty Kat." Negan chuckles. "You should've taken that offer to be one of my wives. "

"I'd never betray my people for a sad, lonely asshole like you. " Negan rolls his eyes in the distance. "Since Smarty- Pants didn't leave her attitude at home today, I guess we'll do this a different way, huh?" Negan pulls out Gabriel. "Brought an old friend, thought that maybe we ought to do this all over again since you guys didn't get the hint the last time, you know, when I made spaghetti outta your friends brains. "Katherine cringes as the flashes of Glenn and Abraham's brains come back. "You remember your old buddy Eugene, well, he made this whole thing possible. "Katherine held her sniper she had in her hand tighter, she puts down her hand gun and switches it with the sniper, now joining everyone else who had various types of guns out. She catches Eugene through the scope, her hand shaking and breath becoming more intense.
"He's gonna stand up here and watch you all die, and he's gonna be okay with that. Congratulations Rick, you just cost your friends their lives. 1! 2! 3! Now!" The Saviors shot, but it seems that their guns all backfired and shot a dozen down, injuries hundreds.

"Go!" Rick calls.

They all charge forward and shoot at the Saviors who were merely grazed, taking down them as they go. Katherine felt an adrenaline overcome her body, the rush of it coasting through her blood. She felt exhilarated, never had she felt this much rush and empowerment fighting for her life before. Rick chased Negan somewhere whilst Katherine shot down a couple of people. When she ran out of billets she huffs and drops the gun, a Savior took this as a chance to stun her. They knock her to the grass and crawl on top of her, blocking her airway with their hands wrapped around her throat. Katherine trashed, she gasped, kicking her feet. The Savior just smirked ominously. Kat reaches up and grabs her attackers face, searching for their eyes through her blurred and obstructed vision, when she finds them, she pushes her fingers in with as much force as she could muster up, the Savior falls back and cries in pain. Her eyes not fully adjusted, she feels a rock beside her, she holds it tightly and bashes down repeatedly onto their head. She feels someone wrap their arms around her from behind.

"It's okay, it's over. "Rosita hushed her, pulling her into her arms. "You gotta breathe, okay? Can you do that for me?" Katherine's vision slowly starts to comeback, her hearing shifting back to normal now, too. "I'm okay, I'm okay. "She repeats. "You're okay. "Rosita repeats. "It's over. "Katherine follows Rosita's gaze to where Rick and Daryl were pulling a bleeding Negan to a van.

<><><><>

Dale was right, the world they knew was gone, but keeping their humanity was their choice. Every waking moment of the life they lived was a risk, you step outside, you risk your life, even in a place you sought safety in, it's never truly safe. Maggie didn't agree with Rick's decision to keep Negan alive and Katherine agreed with Maggie, but she also understood why Rick was keeping him alive. Negan was Maggie's nightmare and Rick's promise. How Katherine felt about the decision was difficult, Glenn was her best friend and Carl was her son. Rick believed that the Saviors could live as one with them, that the only threat out there was the dead. Katherine didn't favour that thought. She was no idiot, she knew they were dangerous. So now she had to live with extra guards up.

<><><><>

UNEDITED

this was a bit rushed