Omega

Katherine

Then

Katherine let out a shaky deep breath as she lodges the last 20 dollar bill into the crevice between her mattress and the slats. She was unsure whether the money she had was a sufficient amount to get her far, all she knew it would at least get her a crappy motel room somewhere in Atlanta. Her nerves were tingling with anticipation and worry, she didn't know if she had it in her to leave her brothers. She lets the mattress fall back down, the springs popping with a squeak of old age, her eyes wander out the window to where Daryl exited into the woods, probably to find dinner. She rose to her feet and wanders to her door, she peaks her head out slightly, her father was nowhere to be seen which was a good sign, he was probably off buying booze. She was surprised he didn't send her, but then again, she had freshly appearing bruises on her cheeks from the events of last night.

The door swings open to reveal Merle, who was stumbling over his own two feet, his white shirt stained with some sort of booze. Her eyes trail to his arms where she spotted needle holes in his arms beside the old scabbed over ones. "Great." She sighs. "You're out of your face again, huh?" Merle spits into the cigarette tin beside the dusty, old, torn couch and kicks off his boots. "And? Watcha' gonna do 'bout it, sissy? Tell sweet 'o daddy?" He kicks open the fridge door and bends down to peer inside. "Asshole drank all the booze. "He says disappointedly.

Katherine throws her hand forward to gesture to him. "Naw Merle, just tired of seeing you like this. You were so good last month and you promised no more drugs. You promised no more dealing. God, you're just a lying sack of shit like him!" She shouts, tears running down her face. She had let it slide all week because she knew he was a different person when high, but she couldn't see him like this again, especially not when she's seen his friends Od, some even died. "Watch that mouth of yours, Kathy. I ain't learned you how to speak to me like that, that's why daddy beats you. "

"It's 'taught' you illiterate fuck!" She screams. "I thought you was better than that. "She felt the pang in her chest as the words he slurred cut her deep. She picks up an empty baggy and throws it at him. "Here, refill your coke, it'll make you feel better. "Merle looked at her with hazy eyes, he sucks through his teeth before the door shoots open with a thud. "The hells all that shouting for?" Her father falls through the door.

Merle pauses, his gaze falling to his baby sister in worry that now loomed upon him. "Ain't nothing, old man. We was just talking, suppose we didn't realise we was being loud. "He lies. Her father slams the cans on the table and points to Katherine. "Put the damn beer away, and next time I see that refrigerator ain't filled, ima teach you a lesson, bitch." He swings his hand forward, a striking blow connecting with Katherine's face, his rings catching her cheek and lip. She caresses her face, she hadn't even flinched because she'd expected it - it wasn't the first time. Merle steps forward, but with a pleading look from Katherine, he stood back. The pain now flowing over her face like a wave of tears flowed after. She glimpses at herself in the dusty window, a long cut from her cheekbone almost reaching her eyes, her lip swollen and bruised, blood rushing down her chin. She hurriedly puts his beer away and runs into her room, locking the door behind her as Merle and her dad began arguing. Glasses smashed and objects were thrown, she bundles in a ball and covers her ears, slowly swaying as she mumbles the lyrics of a song.

This worlds, it's dark.
This worlds, it's scary.
I've taken some hits,
so no wonder I'm wary.
It's why I need you,
You're as poor as the driven snow.

This world goes blind when children are dying. I turn into dust, but you never stop trying.
It's why I love you, you're as poor as the driven snow.