Chapter Twenty-Three

"Alice Park you say?" I nodded my head in confirmation at the name. The woman looked me up and down once more and closed the door. I just stood awkwardly outside for a little while before the woman opened the door all the way. I was now able to see what the woman looked like. She had darker hair and was shorter than me. She was in more adventurous clothing like I and she had a musket at her side.

"Come in."

"Um, alright." I know I'm supposed to be heading back to the tavern, but this lady seems like she knows Alice. I walked inside her home and I heard the door close behind me, making me instinctively creep my hand towards my dagger. I heard her chuckle,

"I'm not looking for a fight. I know Alice wouldn't be too happy that her wife started a fight with someone looking for her." Wasn't expecting that, but alright.

"I'm not looking for a fight either, it's just a habit at this point."

"No need to explain yourself, I understand. May I ask why you're looking for my wife?"

"Well long story short, her younger sister told me where she lived and I'm guessing I need her help to find where her parents live." I explained. The woman's eyes widened at the mention of her parents.

"What have her parents done?"

"Their youngest ran away years ago and I fell in love with her. They found us and took her away from me, so I'm doing everything in my power to get her back to me; for her to be safe."

"Sounds like something they would do," she said mostly to herself, but I still heard it.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?"

"Oh my! I'm so sorry, I'm Joan! I can't believe I didn't tell you earlier, my bad." I smiled a little at her obvious embarrassment. I waved her off,

"It's completely fine, I'm y/n by the way." I held my hand out for her to shake and she gladly did. We continued conversing for a while longer before we both heard the front door open. I turned around as my back was to the door and saw a woman taking her shoes off,

"Hello dear!" She said with a bubbly voice before looking up. The smile was wiped off her face as she met my eyes, "uh, didn't know we had company."

"I didn't mean to intrude, but I was looking for you." I told her. She looked me up and down suspiciously before speaking,

"And you are?"

"Y/n, I met you years ago when you ran away from your parents. You said if I needed anything to come find you, and that's what I did." Her eyes widened,

"How do you know about my parents?" She said a little louder, hand moving down to where her knife was. Joan rushed over to her wife's side and whispered something in her ear. I watched Alice's body loosen and she told me to say why I was here.

"Your sister, Roseanne." I said simply. The look that came over her face was honestly unreadable. It was a mix of shock, guilt, surprise, happiness, sadness, and others.

"Rosie..." she said quietly, "what happened to her?" Alice continued, a little more rushed this time.

"Well I'm in love with your sister and we are dating? I don't know, it's complicated right now because your parents found us and took her away from me. So now I'm trying to find her and on the ship they were on, I saw a carving that read 381 A. I honestly wasn't even going to come to this house, but fate decided to step in."

"Wow, uh number one, I didn't know my little sister was into women, nice. Number two, not surprised about my parents being bastards because that's the reason I ran away. Number three, I will most definitely help you find her. I need to apologize to her anyway."