Epilogue

My biggest fear is slowly becoming a reality.

It's now been two weeks since y/n's ship was supposed to be back. The latest she's ever been in the three years we've had the compromise has been a week. I know there was a storm that rolled in here a few days ago, but I highly doubt that would've done something to y/n and her crew given how skilled they all are.

I'm pacing around the docks for the 5th consecutive day and many of the people around the town have been giving me sympathetic looks. I don't need their pity because I know y/n is going to come back to me.

She always does.

She never breaks her promises.

I've barely been eating these past few days and I spend all night tossing and turning. Being alone with my thoughts is not good, so I usually get up and just walk back down here and sit on the edge, waiting to see the ship I've grown to love so much. Seeing it approaching over the horizon these past years has always been the greatest feeling because I knew I was getting my lover back. She'd have so many more stories to tell and I'd let her talk all day. Just having her back was the best feeling in the world, and she would give me that smile that always gave me butterflies. She would hold me as we went to bed together after those months and it was just the greatest.

As I was pacing and in my own head, I accidentally ran into a body. I mumbled a 'sorry' and just kept my head down, continuing on. But the person had other plans and grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around so I had to face them. I reluctantly looked up at them and saw it was Alice.

"Rosie, take a break. Go home and eat, rest." She told me, holding me in place. I brushed her hands off of me,

"You can't just tell me to do all that when y/n is still out there!" I snapped at her. She was caught off guard by my immediate mood change and her eyes widened. I was also caught off guard with myself and blinked a few times, taking a step back. I shook my head a bit, "I, I'm sorry." I told her quietly.

"Come on." Alice said, holding her hand out for me to take. I stared at it for a bit, then looked out over the horizon, hoping to see my lover's ship.

But there was once again nothing.

I sighed and pushed back the tears that I could feel were threatening to form. Alice reached out and grabbed my hand, gently tugging me along. Walking away from the docks, we went through the town to the outskirts to her and Joan's home. Alice thankfully didn't try to make conversation with me. I honestly wouldn't be able to respond right now because my brain is screaming at me to return to the docks in case y/n finally shows up.

The walk didn't take long and soon I was sitting at the dinner table with the couple, pushing food around my plate with a fork. I rested my head on my hand and I just kept my mind on y/n. I could feel their concerned looks for me and I just ignored them. They knew I didn't want to talk. And they also knew that if I did, I wouldn't be able to control my emotions right now as everything was a mess. My mind, my life, my heart.

"Rosie, please eat something." Joan requested in a soft voice, not wanting to upset me. I sighed and picked at some of the meat that was on my plate, eating a few bites of it. I wasn't in the mood to eat, so it tasted bad; even though I know it tastes good since Joan made it. I glanced out the back window and saw that the sun was going to be setting soon. I stood up and put my plate just in the kitchen,

"You guys can have the rest, I'm going." I told them as I didn't want to miss the sun set. It was always the thing that brought me the most comfort when y/n was gone. Seeing the sky get painted beautiful colors and the peaceful nature it always brought.

I flew out their front door and I heard them calling after me, but I'm not turning back. I kept going down the dirt road all the way to the docks. The old wooden boards bending and creaking as I went. A few people working at the docks greeted me with small nods. I gave them fake smiles as I went back to y/n's dock. There were still the same crates and containers sitting there, waiting to be filled with whatever they were able to get. I traced my fingertips over a few of them and then walked to the end of the dock. I hadn't looked out over the horizon yet, so I took a deep breath and looked up.