Chapter 33

Chapter name: A mistake
————————
————-
——-
—-

It was the next day, and you made your way over to the place Itadori stayed at. Once again, the rooms were empty due to everyone being on the training grounds. Today you wore a dress that Mei had made for you as a sign of appreciation. While you didn't do much and she made fun of you for it, she was thankful that you at least cared enough to show up to attempt something. It was beautiful with (f/c) lace and elegant touches and details. Holding the top part of your dress in your hands as you made your way down the stairs, you still couldn't hold back the slight anxious feeling in your chest.

But now wasn't the time for anxious shit.

The sounds of your footsteps against the cold stone ground was the only thing heard before a small chuckle rang out. You now stood in front of the cell that belongs to Mahito. But—his chains were off. He stood there with his hands behind his back as if expecting you. Seeing your surprised expression upon him not behind chained to the wall only made his smile grow. "I'm assuming you missed me?" He'd ask playfully and you shook your head. "You seem like lovely company~ but no. I'm only here for some more answers. I'm tired of not knowing anything, Mahito. I want some answers." You'd say before softly sitting down on the crate you had pulled out before. He stood a few steps closer before sitting criss-crossed and in front of the bars. "What answers do you crave?" He'd question and you instantly answered.

"What do you know about me and Sukuna? He seems to have known me before I ended up at the palace. Do you know anything about this?" Mahito only nodded. "Eh-? Don't just nod! Tell me about it." You start and Mahito giggled before leaning back and using his hands to steady himself. "I missed that reaction of yours!" He would say and you only sat there dumbfounded. "Sukuna's the reason you aren't with me. Unfortunately, you had met him behind my back. The day I came to the bottom ocean rift...he was there. Stopped me before I could even get three steps closer." He'd pout like a child.

"With you?! W-What?!" You'd stutter out in disbelief. "Were we dating or something!? How come I don't remember! How old even are you! Oh gosh, How old was I? Were you a pedophile-? Well, you don't look that old-?" Since the legal age of the village was 16, for some god awful reason, it was often that thirty year old men or women would marry someone 16 or go after younger people who were 14 or 15. Your rambling was interrupted by Mahitos laughter. "Never been accused as a pedophile, man, that's the first!" He seemed joyful about this whole ordeal. It was...odd. "We weren't a couple?" You questioned and tilted your head to the side. Mahito placed a finger by his mouth and gave a devious grin, "when you say it like that—it's almost as if you wanted the answer to be yes."

"Don't assume things." You eyed him and he nodded in understanding of your reaction

"We weren't. But I adored you a lot, (Y/n)-chan. Even now! Sure, it was my fault you fell off the cliff from where the tree stands, but I didn't expect him to be there." Mahito casually says and you were now more serious than ever. As if you were ready to pick the perfect apple off a tree, you leaned forward and interrogated the curse. "Explain to me about the cliff situation. What happened?"

Mahito shook his head.

"Next question."

"No. Answer that question."

"Compliment me first and I might." He turned his head to the side as if finding this as a fun little game. Gosh, his toying complex was arguably worse than Sukuna's.

"You have long hair." You answered and Mahito shook his head before creating an "X" with his fingers. "Booo~! That doesn't count as a compliment!" Your eyebrow twitched from annoyance before speaking again;