The body in the shrubbery

Follow me for more!

"We need to visit the other empires. Now." 

Katherine nodded uneasily. "Let's go to Scott and GeminiTay first." The girls both set off through the flower clearings and oak woods, relying on a nature compass Shubble had crafted, due to both their elytras mysteriously malfunctioning.

However, after walking for only ten minutes, they both stopped at a less dense part of the woods that seemed to be overflowing with flowers. Red roses, to be precise. 

 They both knew something was up. Flowers like these, flowers, as big, and red, and lush, as these? Never grew without reason.

Katherine frowned as she put her hand on the nearest one. "They aren't of hostile intent..." Stated Katherine slowly. "But they definitely are not mine. Or, even from here." Shubble looked at her friend in shock. "Not from here? Were they carried over by the storm or something?" 

But both of the girls knew seeds carried and dropped by the mysterious storm would never grow that fast.

Katherine brushed a hanging rose vine out of the way. "It's like I can talk to them," She explained, "But they're speaking another language." 

Shubble nodded. She, too, could commune with plants, but flowers were House Blossom's area of expertise.

The red rose bushes began to thicken, until they completely overwhelmed the path. 

"You and I, we're the forest folks of the empires," Shubble noted. "And I, for one, am all about overgrown nature, all that stuff." The gnomeling pushed a fluffy rosebush away. "But this is a little unsettling." Katherine, Deity of flowers, Princess of House Blossom, nodded, which just went to show how strange the red roses really were. 

The path came to a sudden stop via rose bushes after a minute. Katherine leaned in closer, and waved her hand over the flowers for them to recede, when all of the sudden she screamed.

The scream was a little ear shattering, but not in a long way. It was short and sudden, and as Katherine fell back onto the grassy dirt path, Shubble quickly unsheathed her spirit guardian sword, which materialized out of thin air, and, hypothetically, the spirits of the forest. 

"What happened?!" She urged Katherine. "What is it?!"

Katherine simply shook her head, hands over her eyes, head turned away. She whimpered a little bit, then said it aloud. "A b-body...!"

 Shubble's hands flew up with the sword in par, eyes darting towards the clustering rose bushes that marked the path, and, blocked it, able to hide whatever it wished in the thick, thorny rose branches.

Carefully leaning forward, Shelby nudged at one of the roses with her sword, trying to clear a bit of the flowers so she could see. Cautiously parting one of the last brambles, she peered into the shrubbery.

There, indeed, was a body.