Chapter One

Leyla's Point of View

The darkness had consumed me as I pushed through the underground tunnels of the Palace. They were wet and cold, the only source of light was shining at the end of the tunnel. At first I thought it was a mirage as I kept pushing through but as I kept running, the light began to get bigger. 

Keep going Leyla, we are nearly there. Amira encouraged. 

I felt the urgency to escape, to be free. Nona was certain that this would be the only time I could escape. I knew time was of the essence and I could not stop. I had to push through the pain of leaving the only home I knew. I had to get my freedom, I knew if I didn't escape I would warrant Nona's death for the King would only command me to tell him how I managed my escape. I wouldn't be able to ignore it. I couldn't bare to look at Nona if I got caught, I couldn't let the opportunity that Nona gave me go waste. I know she wouldn't forgive me if I was captured. 

My feet were hurting, I had chucked my heels knowing it was futile trying to run in them. I could feel the exit in front of me. The smell of fresh pine wood and dirt was filling my nostrils. I could feel the moisture in the air and the running of water from the river that ran beside the Royal pack. I pushed my feet as hard as I could. My dress was torn, my body was weary but I had to keep moving. 

I reached an opening and the light was blinding to my eyes. It took a moment for me to adjust. The sunlight was just starting to rise in the sky. I knew I didn't have time to waste. The door to the exist was a barred gate. It was made of iron and you could see the rust forming around the corners. I grabbed the bars and pushed it open. The squeaking of the gate hurt my ears, I could tell that it hadn't been used in years. 

Leyla we have to go now. We are running out of time. I need you to trust me, you need to let me take control. I will get us out of here. Amira shouted in my mind. 

My mind went to Nona's last words to me to trust Amira, for she would know where I needed to go. She would ensure that I made it to safety. I nodded my head, panting from exhaustion. I pushed Amira to the front of my mind and I felt my body to contort. My limbs began to break my fingers elongated, my body began its transformation. 

Amira was happy to be free from the constraints of our human body. She was happy to be free, I could feel her satisfaction of feeling the soft breeze run through her fur. Her rains pursed in the ground and I felt her nostrils flare, taking in the scents around her. Her ears perked at the sounds around her. She wanted to make sure we were safe before we made our final escape. 

The coast seems Leyla. I said to Amira. 

It is, let's go. Amira replied. 

Amira broke into a sprint, her feet thumped across the Forrest floor. She made her way through the shrubs and thick forest leaves. She was enjoying the run but that was overpowered by her need to get us to safety. She made her way to the river and began to run as fast as she could.

Amira was logical in her responses and actions. She ran beside the river hoping it would help mask her scent so that the guards wouldn't find her. She wasn't willing to risk our safety. She was heading North from what I could sense. She was moving as swiftly as she could to get away from the Royal Pack. I knew from what Nona said that we had to be as far as we possibly could before sunrise. I knew that her wolf had told her that we wouldn't be successful if we didn't follow her orders, we still had a few hours before anyone realised we were gone. 

I don't know how long we had been running but we reached the end of the river. The river had spilt into two. I knew from my memory that the other side of the rive led towards the mountains where the Lumos pack resided. 

Where are we going? We should head to the mountains. I stated to Amira. 

We can't. It's too dangerous. We can't not be seen by other packs. We follow the other side of the river. Amira replied. 

What? Why? We don't know where it leads Amira, we need to find a way out of here! I exclaimed. 

Leyla, trust me. She states.

Amira turns and follows the part of the river that leads west. I was nervous because I didn't know where we were heading and all I knew was in the west was the Nightingale Pack where Elisha's family ruled. It would be too dangerous to be in their vicinity. However, I had to trust Nona and she told me to put my faith in Amira, for she would know what to do. 

Amira was still sprinting alongside the river and although the water was still flowing, the current wasn't as strong. Amira's started to slow down until she came to a slow trot beside the end of the river. It was there that there was a small pool of water.

The pool of water was surrounded by white wildflowers, they were scattered across the Forrest floor. Not a patch of green grass could be seen. It was secluded and mesmerising. I had never seen anything so beautiful and so ethereal. It was truly magical. There was something so settling and peaceful about this place. It so serene. Amira halted and came to a stop at the pool of water. Her paws were hidden amongst the wildflowers. The smell was so enticing, the heavenly pollen filled my nostrils. 

Suddenly, a piercing pain shots through my chest. Amira starts to whimper in agony. My heart feels something snap and break. Amira lets out an anguished howl. 

What's happening to us Amira? I worriedly asked. 

Leyla, I'm sorry. Amira whispered. 

What is Amira? I shout as the pain continues to spread through my body. 

Leyla. Amira whimpers. Our bond with Nona is gone.

No, it can't be. Nona was strong, she wouldn't have left me, she would have come with me if she was in danger. She must have been forced to break our bond, she's got to be alive still. No, she can't be gone. I could feel the tears well in my eyes. 

Leyla, she's dead. Amira sadly states. 

My heart starts to pound, my head starts to hurt. My body aches with grief. I close my eyes and allow the darkness to consume me.