Chapter Thirty Two

King Alexander's Point Of View

The more I stare at Leyla, the more I question my competence of being a King. How did I blindly ignore my true heir and only child. I look at her and all I see is a young Lily, the only difference is her eyes. Her eyes have changed, they are different from when I last saw her. Her mother's eyes are now hidden behind this golden ring which has small amber flecks dotted across her iris'.  

She's so beautiful and strong. When I think about her upbringing, all I can feel is disappointment for not being directly involved. Essentially I stole the years of her childhood from her mother, my true mate. However, I am equally thankful she grew up in a loving home. I knew Nona had loved and cared for her as her own. She had taught her everything that was important. Nona was a good wolf and in my years of ruling I had often sought her guidance. It seemed that Leyla had benefited from living with her. 

A part of me wants to share this with Lily, I want her to know that although we were unable to raise her, she had a good mother figure in Nona. However, I was scared that I would only hurt her more. Since she marked me, I was with an overwhelmed by her emotions. I could feel everything that she felt over the years of our separation. So many emotions, the pain and loneliness that she felt was prominent. It pained me to see what my mate had gone through, what she had suffered. However I knew it was my fault. 

When Leyla had told me that my son- I mean Ryan was her true mate and he had rejected the bond, my anger boiled. My head and heart were both fighting against each other. Regardless of whether he was my son by blood or bond, I had a hand in raising him since he was a pup. My heart hammered against my chest, confused about how I am meant to punish someone who I thought was my child. I had raised him to become King, I had expressed the importance of being true to your mate, but I was teaching him lessons that I didn't fulfil. I am nothing but a hypocrite. 

When Lily mentions that Carson, my old Beta was the father of the son that I raised. My head started to hammer. Carson used to be my best friend growing up, he won the battle to be the new Beta when Roger had passed away. He had ascended to his role before I even became King. I remember when he disappeared, no one knew where he went or why he left. All that we felt was his bond snapping from the Royal Pack. 

I remember questioning Lamia about it because she and him were good friends. She stated she had no idea where he went or why he left. She just sympathetically stroked my arm telling me that she was just as worried. We sent trackers to look for him for weeks, we could find no trail. After some time of searching, we gave and presumed he disappeared into the human world. Lamia didn't seem to worried at the time, she was focused on her pregnancy. After Ryan was born, both of us had forgotten Carson. Lamia had convinced me to allow her brother to fulfil the position as it was someone she trusted to be around her family. I'm snapped out of my thoughts as Leyla and Lily continue speaking about Carson. Lily seems on edge, while Leyla just seems angry at her.

"Carson? Your Beta? Carson the one who attacked me is Ryan's biological father?!" Leyla screeches. 

"What do you mean Carson attacked you?" I growl out. 

Lily rolls her eyes at me. "Calm down idiot. Leyla handled it well. Carson is dealing with a lot at the moment. He wouldn't betray us. As much as he loves his mate, he hates her at the same time."

"Wait, does Carson know about Reed?" Leyla quickly asks. 

"Yes, I told him to find Reed, he left the pack yesterday to get the answers we seek." Lily replies. 

"I thought you were a smart Alpha. Why would you send someone who's innate instinct is to protect his mate? Do you realise the danger you have put Reed in? What if he harms him? Alex is right, there is no one else who would betray this pack other than him." Leyla states.